Bowyer plans to burst bubble

Scottish Mag

BOYHOOD West Ham fan Lee Bowyer is hoping to burst the Hammers' bubble this weekend when the Premiership newcomers come to Gallowgate.

Bowyer, who had a six-month spell with the Upton Park outfit prior to making the move to St. James' Park in the summer of 2003, admits he still has a fondness for London's East End club - but knows there is no room for sentiment on Saturday.

Lee, whose West Ham debut actually came in a 2-2 draw against Newcastle in January 2003, told nufc.co.uk: "I love West Ham, I supported them as a kid and I still support them now.

"It's going to be hard for us at the weekend.

"They came from behind on Saturday against Blackburn. They showed a lot of character and ended up winning comfortably.

"It's going to be a tough game. I know Alan Pardew personally, he'll have them working hard and putting us under a lot of pressure.

"They deserve to be in the Premier League. They should be in there year in, year out.

"The supporters are really good down there as well, I hope they stay up this season and if they play like they did last Saturday I think they will.

"They'll come up here without any fear. They have a lot of young lads, and they all work for each other.

"They're keen to do well, and they'll still be on a high after coming up through the play-offs."

Bowyer took plenty of positives from the opening game of the season at Arsenal - despite the 2-0 defeat - but he knows The Magpies need to get points on the board this weekend.

He added: "I think we showed a good togetherness at Arsenal.

"I think everyone worked exceptionally hard for each other and it was disappointing in the end that a few decisions went against us and cost us the game.

"We walked out of Highbury with our heads held high, and we can't wait for Saturday now.

"We need to be winning games. No disrespect, but we should be beating teams like West Ham at home.

"Our fans were great at the weekend at Highbury. I had friends and family down there and they said they were unbelievable.

"They clapped us off at the end even though we did lose the game, and hopefully we can give them something to cheer about on Saturday."

ah i remember less than 12 months ago having a brief conversation with Bowyer and him saying West Ham was the only club he cares about and Souness was a bit of a prick for taking him off in the Man Utd home game