Roeder puts Nobby on the spot

Scottish Mag

The 32-year-old Peru winger saw £10million striker Obafemi Martins take on the role in Belgium last week when the Nigerian scored his side's second in a 3-1 victory over Zulte Waregem from the spot.

Solano, who will make his 300th appearance for the Magpies against Francky Dury's side, had been appointed penalty-taker following Martins' miss at Everton in December and was on target in his side's 2-1 Premiership win over Liverpool.

Manager Glenn Roeder has confirmed that 13-goal leading scorer Martins has been asked to stand down if Russian referee Nikolay Ivanov points to the spot on Thursday.

Asked what would happen, he said: "It will be Nobby. He is our penalty-taker.

"He took two very good penalties against West Ham and Liverpool.

"He did not take the penalty last week. I have got great confidence in Oba taking penalties - I know he missed one at Everton, but he has taken three and scored two.

"But at the moment, while Nobby Solano is on the pitch, he is our penalty-taker.

"If we were to get a penalty, the boys absolutely know my feelings. Nobby will be taking that penalty. The players have to do what the manager wants."

Newcastle's first-leg lead gives them an excellent chance of progressing to the last 16 for the third time in four seasons, reaching the semi-finals under Sir Bobby Robson and the quarter-finals under Graeme Souness.

With players starting to return from injury - Shay Given, Craig Moore, Charles N'Zogbia and Emre are all back in training, while Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi could yet figure before the end of the campaign - hopes are high for a rousing finish in both the Premiership and the UEFA Cup.

Roeder said: "We do not like being down to two competitions. I did not want, and my players did not want, a free weekend. We would have much preferred to be playing in the FA Cup, but that was not to be this year.

"We have got through an amazing amount of games with an injury list which is as long as you would want it to be.

"I do not think anyone in football has ever come across an injury list like we have had for five months, and we have come through it reasonably unscathed.

"People who have a little bit of understanding about football and the difficulties of winning game understand we have done very, very well.

"But now is the most important time of the season. What will make the difference is the players who are fit staying fit and those five, six or seven senior players who are getting close to full fitness arriving back in the squad in the next couple of weeks."

Skipper Scott Parker could miss out once again with a tight hamstring, but Solano is expected to play despite being sent home with a sore throat on Wednesday.