Rozehnal winning fitness race

bawan

Newcastle United's summer signing David Rozehnal is struggling with a groin injury, but should be fit for the start of the new season.

The Czech Republic international, who has played in all four of The Magpies' pre-season fixtures, is currently undergoing treatment on the strain.

The former PSG stopper is happy with his displays for Sam Allardyce's troops and believes he has coped with the physical demands of English football.

"My only problem is that I have a got a small groin strain, but I'm working with the doctors to get it better," he told Sport.

"I think I've done well in the friendlies. In all of them I was playing from the first minute and I would say I have stood my ground.

"In the first game I felt the toughness. It won't all be about toughness, it'll be about strength, aggression over the first five metres and an intense tempo.

"I know the player I am and I know my weak and strong points. I feel that I can cope. I have improved my fitness a lot."

Rozehnal believes he is settling well at St James' due to the vast spectrum of ages and nationalities of players at the North East outfit.

"We are mixed in terms of age and nationality. I always have someone to talk to," he continued.

"We don't have any prima donnas which would spoil the team spirit, which is good."