Peter eyes Euro place

Scottish Mag

GEORDIE legend Peter Beardsley feels that a place in Europe is there for the taking for Newcastle United this season.

The United hero helped fire Newcastle back into Continental action back in 1994 for the first time since the 1970s.

And now he believes that, under Sam Allardyce, the Toon Army may not be playing the role of armchair fans when next season’s European action kicks off.

Beardo knows there is a long way to go before the Euro slots will be dished out – but feels that United will be there or thereabouts at the business end of the campaign, with Big Sam’s troops currently ninth in the Premier League and two points off fourth place.

The former England and Newcastle captain told the Chronicle: “It’s been an outstanding start really.

“If you had offered me 14 points going into the international break I would have taken it.

“I would have settled for that with no complaints whatsoever.

“We got that great win at Bolton to start with and then we had the stalemate with Aston Villa, but apart from that the home form has been fantastic.

“I know we got beaten at Derby and Manchester City, but when you look at City they scored some great goals on the day and they won’t be far away at the end of the season.

“And when you have a look at the quality they have got it doesn’t look that bad a result. It’s hard for Sam to come out and say that we will definitely get into Europe because of the pressure it puts on.

“But for me the top four are the top four in any order you want.

“The remaining three UEFA places I think will be contested by Everton, Man City, Blackburn, Portsmouth and of course Newcastle.

“They for me will be the teams in the shake up.”

And for evidence that Allardyce has what it takes to lead Newcastle into another foray into Europe, Toon fans must only look as far as Bolton Wanderers, after the Trotters bagged a dream trip to Allianz Stadium to take on the might of Bayern Munich next month.

Ex-Bolton star Beardsley says: “It’s a great draw for Bolton to be playing Bayern Munich.

“You always want the big clubs as soon as you can in Europe so you can test yourself against the top teams.

“And to be fair to Bolton it is Sam who has put them there.

“That will be a great night for everyone concerned for Bolton and it comes off the back of last season’s performance.”

Beardsley is looking forward to playing the Prince’s Trust charity game at St James’ Park on Sunday, but admits he’d love to be taking in another slice of Premier League action after enjoying the 3-2 win over Everton when Emre cracked a Beardo-esque goal.

He says: “My only wish at the moment is that we weren’t in the middle of an international break, because I would love to have a game this weekend to keep the momentum going.

“I think when a new manager comes in, it’s never easy. But Big Sam has proved to be popular so far, he’s got a good mix of players and he is prepared to go out and get a result at home.

“Sam showed he wasn’t afraid to go for the win against Everton when he brought on Michael Owen and Emre late on to win the points.

“We saw that under Sir Bobby Robson that bringing subs on two or three at a time can work, and credit to him for going out and winning the match like that.

“Emre’s goal was a cracking strike and it was good to see that Sam thinks he is a special player.”