Souness plays down pressure talk

Scottish Mag

Blackburn v Newcastle

Newcastle boss Graeme Souness says he can handle the mounting speculation over his future but blames injuries for his side's poor Premiership start.

Souness, whose side have scored just one league goal and have yet to win, faces former club Blackburn on Sunday.

He said: "Newcastle are a big club with big expectations, but I only want to be judged when I can get all my players on the pitch.

"It's been a disappointing start but injuries are killing us at the moment."

Speculation is increasing in the media that Souness could become the first Premiership managerial casualty of the season if Newcastle fail to improve in the next few weeks.

"I'm a big boy and I've been around the block a few times," added Souness, who could be up against former Newcastle striker Craig Bellamy at Ewood Park on Sunday.

"I know that criticism comes with the territory in this job - that's the price on the ticket.

"I haven't been able to put out my strongest team as yet because of all our injury problems.

"We've made some good signings this summer but we haven't been able to put them all out on the pitch at the same time, and that will be the case again on Sunday."

Newcastle, who have Emre, Keiron Dyer, Albert Luque and Nolberto Solano all injured and Scott Parker suspended, have only scored one goal in the Premiership this season.

Souness will be looking to record new signing Michael Owen to rectify that and pull the club up the table.

Won't be in the next 24 hours though, but I guess it will be soon, he can't survive this, surely not?

I am praying that the fuckwit is off soon.

34574[/snapback]

I'm praying that Fat Fred's current holiday turns out to be a "holiday" involving speaking to decent managers about a soon to be available job, but i won't get my hopes up!