Capello turns to Pearce

bawan

Stuart Pearce has joined new England manager Fabio Capello's coaching staff.

Pearce will continue with his existing role as coach of the Under 21 side and will join up with the senior squad after Tuesday's clash against Republic of Ireland at Southampton.

After next week's Wembley friendly against Switzerland, Pearce will also be in Capello's backroom staff for the two end-of-season friendlies as the Under 21s are not in action.

Capello said: "From the start I made it clear to everyone that I wanted an English coach as part of my coaching team.

"I have spoken with Trevor Brooking and Stuart Pearce about this at length and I'm very happy that Stuart is working with me.

"This is very important as Stuart has a lot of experience and understanding of English football. He understands what I am looking to achieve and how I want to work.

"I believe it is crucial that both of us have a close working partnership to get the best for both the England team and Under 21s.

"As well as being involved in all of the planning ahead of games, he will sit next to me on the bench during the matches and have a key position around the team."