Hard Drive failure?

peasepud

When I came home last night my PC was just sitting there doing nowt so I switched off and back on and still nowt. Basically it lights up and the fan goes but nothing else, no click of a HD, no whirring of the CD Drive (tried putting the Vista disc in and booting from that but nothing). I cant even access the BIOS options. Its like its just died a death?

Help me!!!!!

Ive tried all the things you said Ant and nowt at all. Had the HD in and out, swapped ram one at a time etc etc but nothing everytime its the same thing, just a fan and a light oh and the sound of the cd rom like its going to kick in and then nowt.

Peasepud i had exactly the same problem with a pc in my house about 3 months ago.

The cause was a power failure in my street and when the electricity came back on pc just wouldnt work.

Now, im a bit of a computer geek and have built more than my fair share of pc's in my time so thought it shouldnt be too difficult troubleshooting what the problem was especially as i had loads of spare parts..

How wrong can you be

I have tried

New ram

New Harddrive

No cd drives

No gfx (ie using onboard)

New power supply

Nothing seems to fix it.

My outcome being............... Hoy the bastard into the garage and claim on the house insurance :lol:

The pc was quite old a packard bell pentium 4 with 512mb ram 80 gb hdd. Pretty basic.

But the insurance company sent £350 worth or pc world vouchers and obviously not needing a new monitor i got a canny new system. Dual core with 2Gb ram and 200GB harddrive.

But i have since came to the conclusion that the original problem must have been the motherbaord blew with the power surge after the blow out.

Hope this helps!

Peasepud i had exactly the same problem with a pc in my house about 3 months ago.

The cause was a power failure in my street and when the electricity came back on pc just wouldnt work.

Now, im a bit of a computer geek and have built more than my fair share of pc's in my time so thought it shouldnt be too difficult troubleshooting what the problem was especially as i had loads of spare parts..

How wrong can you be

I have tried

New ram

New Harddrive

No cd drives

No gfx (ie using onboard)

New power supply

Nothing seems to fix it.

My outcome being............... Hoy the bastard into the garage and claim on the house insurance :lol:

The pc was quite old a packard bell pentium 4 with 512mb ram 80 gb hdd. Pretty basic.

But the insurance company sent £350 worth or pc world vouchers and obviously not needing a new monitor i got a canny new system. Dual core with 2Gb ram and 200GB harddrive.

But i have since came to the conclusion that the original problem must have been the motherbaord blew with the power surge after the blow out.

Hope this helps!

That's why it is always worth having surge protection (or even a conditioned supply) even if it's only very rarely needed. Problem is as well as directly blowing something, it can do partial damage to the PSU which then will just wreck successive motherboards after a random amount of time, and the motherboard failure can happily bugger up other components at the same time.