University fees

spongebob toonpants

So both my little darlings are heading off to University in a couple of weeks.

Obviously the student finance people appear to be completely useless and there seems to be no chance we will have any money by the time they start. I can just about cope with paying their accomodation/food whatever but whats the story with the fees. Are universities happy to wait for the student finance to get sorted or do I have to start thinking about grovelling to the bank manager.

I had assumed that they would be flexible, but I havent been able to find any advice on what to do on looking at the University/ student finance websites

Which Uni?

I can only talk of the Uni of Manchester but last year Student Finance Direct fucked me over and hence I could not register for Uni as I didn't happen to have a spare £1.5K in the bank and what they got me to do was to set up a Direct Debit for January for the full £1500 which then allowed me to register on their computer system and give me the time to sort things with Student Finance Direct, once things were sorted with SFD the Uni cancelled the DD and all was fine.

Which Uni?

I can only talk of the Uni of Manchester but last year Student Finance Direct fucked me over and hence I could not register for Uni as I didn't happen to have a spare £1.5K in the bank and what they got me to do was to set up a Direct Debit for January for the full £1500 which then allowed me to register on their computer system and give me the time to sort things with Student Finance Direct, once things were sorted with SFD the Uni cancelled the DD and all was fine.

Thanks man - the boy is going to Manchester so that has lowered my stress levels considerably.

What are you studying there, and do you have any knowledge of Bowden Court - thats where the young fellow is heading

Which Uni?

Thanks man - the boy is going to Manchester so that has lowered my stress levels considerably.

What are you studying there, and do you have any knowledge of Bowden Court - thats where the young fellow is heading

Oh and 1.5k!! mine are on £3225 each

Which Uni?

I'm going into my 4th year studying Town & Country Planning.

Never been in Bowden Court but know people who have lived there, it's in a good location right next to the Aquatics centre and Oxford Road and all the uni buildings although he will probably spend his entire first year getting pissed in Fallowfield.

they're fine, when they go to register they'll get temporary student cards which thay can switch to permanent ones once the financial stuff goes through, dont worry about it the SLC are useless

Edited by Andrew