Laptop to HDTV

ChezGiven

When i connect my laptop (2007 macbook) to my TV (Philips LCD HDTV), i get this weird stuttering on playback using the internal DVD player. It seems to jump forward very slightly all the time. Unwatchable. Connected on a DVI to HDMI.

After some random digging involving putting all the words in the above sentence randomly into google, it appears that its either a problem with the resolution or with a feature on the TV called Active Control.

In the TV manual it says 'PC supported resolutions' and lists some resolutions that are not listed as an option on the laptop. Is the objective to set the resolution on the laptop to a supported resolution in the manual?

If so, anyone know how to set the screen resolution on the mac to an option that is not listed in system preferences?

If not, what other reasons should i look at?

It also stopped displaying sub-titles properly. All these problems dont exist when playing the same DVDs off an old DVD player. The problem with that is though its so old, it has an annoying white band across the very top of the screen. :)

Many thanks in advance :pullhair:

I've not used a mac. but normally when you hook up a laptop to a monitor/tv it picks up the second screen and you can set the resolution for the second screen.

Try shutting the laptop lid when connected and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Sid, my laptop is black. It used to do that too when I first got it. Then as it got a little older, it stopped. Give it a little wear in time. Alternatively make the soft thing a little sticky. :nod:

Okay dont do that second one. But yeah, give it some time. I think.

When i connect my laptop (2007 macbook) to my TV (Philips LCD HDTV), i get this weird stuttering on playback using the internal DVD player. It seems to jump forward very slightly all the time. Unwatchable. Connected on a DVI to HDMI.

After some random digging involving putting all the words in the above sentence randomly into google, it appears that its either a problem with the resolution or with a feature on the TV called Active Control.

In the TV manual it says 'PC supported resolutions' and lists some resolutions that are not listed as an option on the laptop. Is the objective to set the resolution on the laptop to a supported resolution in the manual?

If so, anyone know how to set the screen resolution on the mac to an option that is not listed in system preferences?

If not, what other reasons should i look at?

It also stopped displaying sub-titles properly. All these problems dont exist when playing the same DVDs off an old DVD player. The problem with that is though its so old, it has an annoying white band across the very top of the screen. :D

Many thanks in advance :icon_lol:

I had to change my laptop resolution to get it to work properly on my TV. Also my laptop has some shit Dell upscaler that makes the picture jerky unless you turn it off. Not sure if its the same on a Macbook.

Alternatively go to Argos and buy a DVD player for £15 cheap skate :D