Sam blasts Toon job talk

Scottish Mag

SAM Allardyce has slammed press speculation linking him with a move to Newcastle United.

The Reebok boss has angrily distanced himself from reports claiming he has been lined up to replace Graeme Souness at St James' Park.

"I just don't like having my name linked to a club where another manager is in a job," he said.

"It's unfair on me, unfair on this club and unfair on Graeme Souness. It just adds to the pressures."

Allardyce, who is a leading member of the League Managers' Association, added: "You can't stop speculation when there is a vacancy, but speculation before anything has happened is completely out of order."

Despite his protests, Allardyce is still the talk of the Toon, where Souness was reported to have had "crisis talks" with chairman, Freddy Shepherd. But the Newcastle supremo gave no indication that a change of manager was imminent when he insisted it was "business as usual" at St James' Park.

Allardyce, who turned down a chance to manage Newcastle 16 months ago, would be in the frame if Souness were to go, but sources on Tyneside suggest Shepherd is reluctant to go back to managers who have rejected him in the past.

AO is running this story, too. Can't see anything in it. Allardyce is not really distancing himself from the job, just saying he won't say anything as long as the current tosser is still in charge.