Wordpress Help

Tooj

I need to setup a blog and I'm going to use Wordpress to do it.

I've registered and all of that jazz. Yet I really haven't got the first idea what I'm suppose to be doing with it.

Does anybody have any basic guides for it? All I want to do is use one of the templates as the basis for it. :blush2:

Not sure what you're after, its pretty basic.

I used blogger in the past but you reminded me I want to set one up for the baby to read about themselves when they're older. Just been and set one up and posted my first pic.

Wanted it to be private and took me 5 minutes to find out how on the support page. Seems to be quite detailed....

http://en.support.wordpress.com

Anything more specific?

Not sure what you're after, its pretty basic.

I used blogger in the past but you reminded me I want to set one up for the baby to read about themselves when they're older. Just been and set one up and posted my first pic.

Wanted it to be private and took me 5 minutes to find out how on the support page. Seems to be quite detailed....

http://en.support.wordpress.com

Anything more specific?

What a lovely idea :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to get used to it now. I've set up a 3 different blogs to circulate hi res pics to friends who don't bother with Dropbox or facebook, gonna do a couple more as well.

Each blog you have is allowed 3GB, which is why I have gone with more than 1. I wanted them to be able to get full resolution versions of all the pics. 3Gb is enough for a few hundred though.

i struggled to start with because it was only displaying thumbnails. the trick to getting around that is not to use the "new post" shortcut at the top of the screen, but to go to your dashboard > posts > add new.

In the new post page you can "add media". On the right make sure you select "Image" as the format of your post. If there's lots you might want to use Gallery, but i don't like how this makes everything a thumbnail, even on the front page.

Once you've added the photo(s) you want in this post, ensure to select "Full Size" on the right hand side, as well as selecting which of the pictures you want to be your "featured image".

I also choose to amend the "visibility" setting further up. I enter a password and provide it to the people who I want to be able to see the pics. You can leave it public (obviously), but i thought it was good that your blog front page can be public for all to see as a taster, while keeping what's in the posts private except to those with a password....who don't need to register either.

I think I have worked it out now.

Basically I at least want it to look tidy and not just very basic. Think it's because I will have to pay if I want it to look that way though.

http://theme.wordpre.../themes/oxygen/

I am using that theme yet mine is unable to look anything like that layout wise.

The only thing I'm struggling to recreate from that them is the scrolling featured posts along the top...

http://bigchrisholt.wordpress.com/

Gotta dash now, but I'll have a look at that tomorrow, would like to be able to do it. fear it's not available on the free version.

All sorted Tooj....

http://bigchrisholt.wordpress.com/

When you first activate Oxygen, you’ll see your posts in a traditional blog format but if you’d like to showcase your content in an online magazine-like fashion, then you can use the Showcase Page template.

The Showcase Page template offers a featured slider for up to six Sticky Posts. To use the template, create or edit a page, and assign it to the Showcase Page template from the Page Attributes module. If you’d like use the Showcase Page template on your front page, go to Settings → Reading and set the Front page option to Static Page. Select the page you just assigned the Showcase Page template to as your front page and then choose another page to serve as your blog page.

The Dark menu on the left was also tricky.

Dashboard > Appearance > Menu

You can create 3 custom menus

Menu 1 - the blue items along the top

Menu 2 - The stuff in the black boxes on the left

Menu 3 - appears at the bottom right of the site (I've created some state tags to use here to make that clear).

You have to create pages/categories before you assign them to these menus.

Just ask if I've not explained well.

Trying to fiddle about with this wordpress blog and having trouble putting pictures on.

The error message I keep getting says:

Unable to create directory wp-content/uploads/2013/03. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

I'm using a mac so is this a compatibility issue?

:unsure2: