Divine-Righters demand to be honoured

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Collingwood did indeed get one, not bad for 17 runs and a catch!

I don't see the problem with the cricketers getting them, the World Cup team of 66 all got honours, and there is no better achievement in cricket than winning the Ashes.

78612[/snapback]

So there's no better achievement in cricket than winning a two horse race. Just about sums the "sport" up. B)

78613[/snapback]

So Ali beating Foreman wasn't a great achievement, on the basis it's a 'two horse race'?

78660[/snapback]

Absurd comparison:

1) Boxing is not a team game.

2) He had to earn the right to be in that ring.

England vs Oz happens every two years (or whatever), regardless. So once in a blue moon we beat them. Wow.

78677[/snapback]

Still a two horse race as you put it though, therefore the comparison wasn't absurd. I take your points in the latter post though. It was a great acheievement though because Australia are the best team in the world. I take it you are comparing it to other team sports or more particularly football, but surely that comparison is unfair since the structure of competition in test cricket is completely different to the structure of international football. If you can't accept England winning the Ashes was a great achievement - "Wow" - I'm guessing you know fuck all about cricket and probably shouldn't be commenting :yes

I don't see the problem with the cricketers getting them, the World Cup team of 66 all got honours, and there is no better achievement in cricket than winning the Ashes.

78612[/snapback]

So there's no better achievement in cricket than winning a two horse race. Just about sums the "sport" up. :P

78613[/snapback]

So Ali beating Foreman wasn't a great achievement, on the basis it's a 'two horse race'?

78660[/snapback]

Absurd comparison:

England vs Oz happens every two years (or whatever), regardless. So once in a blue moon we beat them. Wow.

78677[/snapback]

Still a two horse race as you put it though, therefore the comparison wasn't absurd. I take your points in the latter post though. It was a great acheievement though because Australia are the best team in the world. I take it you are comparing it to other team sports or more particularly football, but surely that comparison is unfair since the structure of competition in test cricket is completely different to the structure of international football. If you can't accept England winning the Ashes was a great achievement - "Wow" - I'm guessing you know fuck all about cricket and probably shouldn't be commenting B)

78701[/snapback]

You might guess I am no cricket fan and indeed know fuck all about it. Poncy sport played by a bunch of upper class twits from largely irrelevant countries, and dull as ditch water to watch. :yes However, I would have thought that in cricket winning the world cup might be a greater achievement since presumably you have to beat more than one team.

Also, what happens if Australia become somewhat shit, which is perfectly possible? Will it still be a great achievement beating them then?

78612[/snapback]

So there's no better achievement in cricket than winning a two horse race. Just about sums the "sport" up. :yes

78613[/snapback]

78660[/snapback]

Absurd comparison:

78677[/snapback]

Still a two horse race as you put it though, therefore the comparison wasn't absurd. I take your points in the latter post though. It was a great acheievement though because Australia are the best team in the world. I take it you are comparing it to other team sports or more particularly football, but surely that comparison is unfair since the structure of competition in test cricket is completely different to the structure of international football. If you can't accept England winning the Ashes was a great achievement - "Wow" - I'm guessing you know fuck all about cricket and probably shouldn't be commenting B)

78701[/snapback]

You might guess I am no cricket fan and indeed know fuck all about it. Poncy sport played by a bunch of upper class twits from largely irrelevant countries, and dull as ditch water to watch. :yes However, I would have thought that in cricket winning the world cup might be a greater achievement since presumably you have to beat more than one team.

Also, what happens if Australia become somewhat shit, which is perfectly possible? Will it still be a great achievement beating them then?

78718[/snapback]

Until they become shit, that's irrelevent. I never said it was the greatest achievement in cricekt per se to win the Ashes btw. However, your dismissal of it on this occasion as an achievement confirms your lack of knowledge. Incidentally, the World Cup is a one-day competition, but you probably didn't know that either :P

78612[/snapback]

So there's no better achievement in cricket than winning a two horse race. Just about sums the "sport" up. :yes

78613[/snapback]

78660[/snapback]

Absurd comparison:

78677[/snapback]

78701[/snapback]

78718[/snapback]

Until they become shit, that's irrelevent. I never said it was the greatest achievement in cricekt per se to win the Ashes btw. However, your dismissal of it on this occasion as an achievement confirms your lack of knowledge. Incidentally, the World Cup is a one-day competition, but you probably didn't know that either :P

78739[/snapback]

I did as it happens. Otherwise the world cup would last 20 years. :yes

I can see the appeal of most sports, but the concept of playing the same opponents for several weeks in a row, and even then it can be a draw, leaves me cold. I think I'll stick to football matches, which are resolved over 90 minutes, or 210 minutes in a 2-legged tie.

78612[/snapback]

78613[/snapback]

78660[/snapback]

Absurd comparison:

78677[/snapback]

78701[/snapback]

78718[/snapback]

78739[/snapback]

I did as it happens. Otherwise the world cup would last 20 years. B)

I can see the appeal of most sports, but the concept of playing the same opponents for several weeks in a row, and even then it can be a draw, leaves me cold. I think I'll stick to football matches, which are resolved over 90 minutes, or 210 minutes in a 2-legged tie.

78751[/snapback]

So basically, you don't like cricket and don't see the appeal. That obviously belittles the achievement of winning the Ashes then :yes

78612[/snapback]

78613[/snapback]

78660[/snapback]

Absurd comparison:

78677[/snapback]

78701[/snapback]

78718[/snapback]

78739[/snapback]

I did as it happens. Otherwise the world cup would last 20 years. B)

78751[/snapback]

So basically, you don't like cricket and don't see the appeal. That obviously belittles the achievement of winning the Ashes then :yes

78760[/snapback]

Well you could argue that Liverpool won the biggest club competition in the world, playing the most popular sport in the world (by far). Whereas cricket is really a minor sport played by a few common-wealth countries, or England and Australia in the case of the ashes.

No, I have to say that one team beating another is not a great achievement really. Like I said, it's a two horse race, and it was even played at home. I really can't see the big deal.

Liverpool did win the biggest club competition in football. What's that got to do with anything I've pointed out?

78769[/snapback]

Probably bugger all, I think it might be relevant to this thread though. :yes

Liverpool did win the biggest club competition in football. What's that got to do with anything I've pointed out?

78769[/snapback]

Probably bugger all, I think it might be relevant to this thread though. :yes

78774[/snapback]

B) Incidentally, I don't think the Liverpool players or the Ashes team should be honoured. I think that sort of thing should come at the end of players' careers.