Middleman?

Barney

What would people think of a Director of Football being employed at the club?

Spurs seemed to make great strides when Arneson(sp) was put in charge. Hearing Jol talk aout previous transfers (like trying to bring Davids to the club), he brought up Arnesons' name several times, mentioning how involved he had been.

I think at the minute, we a lacking a bit of organisation and discipline at the club. From top to bottom.

Do you lot think a sporting director wcould help bring a little bit of respect to the club? As it says in other topics on the board, we are becoming laughing stock.

I suppose the biggest question is, would Fat Fred allow it? There's no doubting that he loves his spot-light, and giving SSN his exclusives. Every time he opens his mouth though, I know I'm gonna end up embaressed for NUFC.

I must be honest here and admit that I don't know 100% what a footballing director's job is However, if we could bring someone in with fantastic footballing knoledge, with European connections, I think that we could leave Fat Fred to what he does best(our books are in good nick, as far as I'm aware), and maybe our new director could liaise with other clubs over transfers etc.

What would people think of a Director of Football being employed at the club?

Spurs seemed to make great strides when Arneson(sp) was put in charge. Hearing Jol talk aout previous transfers (like trying to bring Davids to the club), he brought up Arnesons' name several times, mentioning how involved he had been.

I think at the minute, we a lacking a bit of organisation and discipline at the club. From top to bottom.

Do you lot think a sporting director wcould help bring a little bit of respect to the club? As it says in other topics on the board, we are becoming laughing stock.

I suppose the biggest question is, would Fat Fred allow it? There's no doubting that he loves his spot-light, and giving SSN his exclusives. Every time he opens his mouth though, I know I'm gonna end up embaressed for NUFC.

I must be honest here and admit that I don't know 100% what a footballing director's job is However, if we could bring someone in with fantastic footballing knoledge, with European connections, I think that we could leave Fat Fred to what he does best(our books are in good nick, as far as I'm aware), and maybe our new director could liaise with other clubs over transfers etc.

6473[/snapback]

I think you've answered your own question there mate.

Edited by alex

Well it appears to have worked very well at Tottenham, and I'm sure that now Chelsea will make it work as well.

I know that if you put an ego in the role, then things won't work out, but I personally think that maybe he likes of Gerard Houllier could be very good in that type of job. It couldn't be a "yes" man either.

If it shut Freddy up for a while and meant we have an informed individual making decision about training facilities, over looking youth team affairs, and whatever-the-hell else the job entail, it could cause a decent shake up in the club.

God, every time I see Freddy opening his mouth on Sky Spots News, I feel we're about to take a step backwards.

Just someone else to add to the squabbling IMHO

Its never really worked in English football

6712[/snapback]

I think in the old days there was never the need for a director of football. The manager was the director himself and not another person needed. But I think this has changed. Just take into consideration the quotes from SBR's biography about transfers and contracts that were published a couple of days ago. When Bobby was first managing in England he was in control of everything. He was doing the transfer dealing, hackling out the contracts etc., nowadays the manager becomes more of what is the head coach like in continental Europe.

That might open the door for the introduction of directors of football, where you ideally have a person that has a bit knowledge in football and isn't just a former second hand car dealer who accidentely took over a football club.