We'd all love O'Neill here

Baggio

We'd all love O'Neill here

Mar 25 2006

By Luke Edwards, The Journal

As concern continues to fester regarding his long-term future at Newcastle United, Shay Given has given his backing to the club's quest to persuade Martin O'Neill to become its next boss.

Given will have just one year left on his contract in the summer and there is a growing sense of unease that the Republic of Ireland international could be sold if he refuses to sign a new deal. But while talks have been put on hold until the end of the season, Given has hinted he will have no problem staying on Tyneside as long as Newcastle can attract the right manager to replace the deposed Graeme Souness.

Given has been one of the more outspoken members of the United dressing room for several years and he has never tried to hide his dissatisfaction at United's failure to challenge at the top of the Premiership.

And with Turkish midfielder Emre also suggesting this week that he needs to be convinced of Newcastle's ambition before he commits his long-term future to the club, Given has insisted the appointment of O'Neill would have the overwhelming support of the players.

"I would love to see him come on board," said Given, who has refused to answer questions about his contract until the end of the season.

"Martin did a fantastic job at Celtic. Even at Leicester he won a cup and who would have thought that? He has a fantastic CV, is a fantastic guy and he loves his football.

"I do not know what is going on behind the scenes or what the chairman is doing but I am sure he is working hard to try and get someone of that calibre in. I do not know who it is going to be, obviously, but if you ask many of the players and went out on the street and asked the fans, they would be very excited if Martin O'Neill took the job.

"I have questioned the direction of the club in the past but that is why the chairman is taking his time to get it right because it's so important.

"There is not a mad rush. Glenn has come in and steadied the ship. There would be support (in the dressing room) for Martin O'Neill. I am Irish so maybe I am speaking out of turn but I would think the general consensus is that they would be very pleased if he took over."

Having enjoyed three years of European football under Sir Bobby Robson, Given has never tried to hide his irritation at Newcastle's inability to maintain those standards.

But the new vice-captain of the Republic of Ireland is adamant Newcastle's players cannot allow any sort of complacency to creep into their performances.

He said: "As far as I am concerned whenever you put the jersey on you should be giving your all. Whoever the new manager is, I am sure he'll know what players he wants to keep."

Given added: "It has obviously been a disappointing season. We need a bit of stability now and it is up to the players now to improve."