Darius Henderson...the new Shearer??

Scottish Mag

As Alan Shearer's career draws to a close, barring another convincing reason to postpone retirement, I wonder if he will be the last true English centre-forward we see playing at the level he achieved. I cannot think of a young player with international potential who plays with the power, aggression and footballing ability of Alan shearer.

Perhaps the most noticeable element that is missing from the current crop of England strikers is the ability to head a ball. Sure, Peter Crouch can get on the end of them practically by default, and headed goals are still scored by England strikers but not like Shearer. No longer do we see strikers really striving to get their head on the ball, and when they do it is never with the power and placement of Shearer. With a midfield possessing the crossing ability of David Beckham and ability to get to create havoc down the opposition flanks, in the form of Wright-Philips and Joe Cole, a striker who can really head a ball would be a deadly weapon. But this old and distinctly English style of the battering ram centre-forward appears to be dying out.

I am not for one moment saying that is all there is to Shearer's game or that there are no English strikers who are competent headers of the ball, but I am saying there are no strikers who combine the necessary skills to became an international striker in the mould of the English centre-forward. I had become resigned to this depressing and pessimistic view of the English game until Watford signed Darius Henderson. I feel I should warn you at this point that I am in fact a Watford season ticket holder and thus this may compromise what you may feel is the necessary impartiality.

However, I feel I am impartial and generally pessimistic enough to make the forthcoming comparison. When I saw the price tag the newly purchased Darius Henderson arrived with I was concerned that our eggs had been put in one basket. For our football club £450,000 was a vast amount of money to invest in a single player given our financial struggles. But, as with most of our signings this season, Adie Boothroyd found an absolute bargain. Don't believe me? Then look towards the top end of the Championship table... and a bit higher:- that's it.

Whilst Henderson is not our top scorer and only part of what is a well gelled and in form team I am still going to have the cheek to compare him to Alan Shearer.

I can hear the snorts and expletives aimed at the screen but hear me out. While Henderson is nowhere near Shearer's level at the moment I truly believe the 24 year old has the all the ingredients and potential to be the next true English centre forward. While he may not have the lightening pace that is the mainstay of the great modern striker he makes up for it with strength and positioning. He has the ability to hold off and out muscle any defender I've seen him come up against this season and I am yet to see a defensive pairing know how to deal with his power and aggression.

His positioning has also been more than a match for Championship defences. He has the ability to get in front of the defender and pick up the ball with a first touch that is none to shabby, and the ability to create space for himself. These skills he possesses makes another attribute all the more lethal. Henderson can head the football. I mean he can really head it. He can put power on the ball, instead of just wobbling his head at it, and with placement. He knows how to find the space, what run to make into the box to get on the end of crosses, and if there is a defender in the way my money's on Henderson.

Now a one dimensional battering ram of a footballer would not make a great centre forward, which is why its just as well he can finish. Whilst not truly clinical he is not "a close your eyes and swing player", and at 24 he can only get better. The potential of a great finisher is there. He never panics, always goes for placement and no six yard howlers spring to mind. As well as finishing he has the ability to create. He is a decent passer of the ball, has some skill in the bag and possesses a cross some wingers would be jealous of.

So while Henderson is by no means the finished article he is certainly one to watch and is made in a mould which I thought was rusting in the corner. Of course this may just be the optimistic rantings of a supporter starved of oxygen this high up the table, but I cannot remember seeing a player that posed quite as much menace to any defence seen at the Vic in recent years. If I'm wrong I may only anger a few Newcastle fans, but if I'm right, the true centre forward may not quite be extinct.

http://www.footballingworld.com/index.php?..._from=&ucat=90&

Should have bought Ashton in the summer instead of Luque. Could have picked up Nugent with the change too.

110790[/snapback]

NUGENT??? :):):unsure:

110976[/snapback]

I think he's got something, although I've only seen him a couple of times plus the odd bit on TV. Fairly sure Preston got him for peanuts (£100000 I think), he's quick, can finish, likes to run at defenders and isn't scared to shoot from distance.

I reckon he will be Premiership material sooner rather than later and for, say £1.5million, I'd pick him over Shola everytime.

Rather have Dave Kitson tbh.

111134[/snapback]

Good man. :)

Injury-prone though unfortunately. Still the best striker in the championship though.

111135[/snapback]

Doyle looks like a class act to me. Will be interesting to see how he does in the Premiership.