Setting up a message board on my work intranet

BlueStar

At the moment I update and maintain my department's little corner of the intranet. One thing I'd really like is a small forum where people can share tips and bugs for the speech regonition software we use. Now, I've moderated on forums before, but I've never had to set one up from scratch. What would be the easiest way of creating one? If I used something like phdBB, would I need to buy a license to use it in this way?

Is it easy to set up for someone like me who's pretty computer savvy, but has never done it before?

:o

Setting up phpBB is a breeze so as long as you have the ability to follow instructions then you'll have no problems.

With regards to cost, phpBB is opensource software released under the GNU. The only thing they ask is that you don't remove the copyright in the page footer. You'll also need to setup a database (obviously) but I'm guessing that if it's on a company intranet you've probably got easy access to either MS SQL, MySQL or Oracle... or even worse case, MS Access.

Sounds like a fun job though, if mine was so entertaining I'd probably spend my day doing that rather than messing about on my personal site! :o

Edited by MrBass

Cheers mate - It's not really part of my job, I just volunteered to upkeep the intranet because I'd done it for my last company, and suggested a forum because I was sick of mass emails and notes in word format. Plus it's a bit of variety.

Sounds pretty simple although I'm not sure what databases I'd have access to (or how to use the buggers)

Edited by BlueStar