Rafa admits Owen interest..

Scottish Mag

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has admitted he would like to bring Michael Owen back to Anfield, but claims it will be tough to push through a deal for the Real Madrid man.

Owen's future at Real looks bleak, as the signings of Brazilian duo Robinho and Julio Baptista are likely to force the England marksman further down the pecking order.

A return to The Premiership would certainly appeal to Owen in what is a World Cup year and he has attracted strong interest from Newcastle.

Owen is not keen on heading to Tyneside due to their failure to secure a place in Europe, but a return to his previous club would be an entirely different matter.

Benitez has remained coy on the prospect of bringing Owen back to Anfield for much of the summer, but he has now admitted that he would be keen on landing the 25-year-old if he can engineer a deal.

The Spanish tactician feels any move for Owen hinges on whether he can secure a sizeable fee for Milan Baros.

Czech striker Baros is a target for Lyon and Aston Villa, but no deal has been thrashed out and the transfer window is due to shut in just over a fortnight.

"I am aware that Michael would like to come back," said Benitez. "I don't know if we can do something because we are waiting for a good offer for Milan Baros.

"But he is a good player and I like him. I never had any problems with him. He is a nice boy, a good professional and a very good player."

Benitez says his priorities are to land a centre half and right winger, but refused to rule out snaring Owen.

"We have 20 more days and we expect to get them in by then," he said. "I could say yes or no about Owen, but we must receive a good offer for Baros before we can proceed."

Bad news for us. Not that I expect him to come here, but I'd rather he went to man u. Then we could try to get Smith or Saha off them. If he goes to the thieves we're double fucked.

11636[/snapback]

With both our chairman and manager are we not fucked regardless?