Argentina v Ivory Coast - 10/6 8PM ITV

MattM4

it's not that Sorin in particular is a player that is threatening, simply that he can provide support, and outlets to their attacking players.

147737[/snapback]

Beckham and Neville are two out of the top 3 players in terms of fitness in the squad though, they should be able to look after him between them. I understand your point re: 4-5-1 but I can't see us scoring that way. Plus, it wastes our best player - Rooney and leaves our best goalscorer - Owen, out altogether.

off to watch the Aussies and Japs... in half an hour

wrong thread :razz:

I think our midfield is our strongest position, I think we should make the most of it by putting the emphasis upon it.

Rooney can link with Cole, Gerrard and Lennon in a 4-5-1

if Lampard and Beckham could be disciplined and remain in front of the back four we could play a 4-5-1 without the ball and a 4-2-3-1 when we're on the attack...

Edited by Geordie Fish

with runners we needn't play the ball up to Rooney's head or chest, we can play to feet from Cole, Lennon and Gerrard.

Beckhams long passing can take advantage of any gaps that Lennon and Cole can get themselves into.