New computer set-up

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

I've inherited a new pc over new year, a step up in terms of memory, power and speed over my previous one.

What I need to know is what is worth putting on it in terms of software?

Is XP's own firewall sufficient or should I go for something else?

Best free anti-virus program? Some seem to think AVG won't be free for much longer but they seem to have an up-to-date free version on their site.

Other recommendations for media players, firefox extensions and anything else useful gratefully received.

I've inherited a new pc over new year, a step up in terms of memory, power and speed over my previous one.

What I need to know is what is worth putting on it in terms of software?

Is XP's own firewall sufficient or should I go for something else?

Best free anti-virus program? Some seem to think AVG won't be free for much longer but they seem to have an up-to-date free version on their site.

Other recommendations for media players, firefox extensions and anything else useful gratefully received.

I think some people got confused by AVG telling about one or two months ago that they won't provide update service for an older version (7.3 or something similar). When I updated to 7.5 I never got the message from AVG again.

I'm pretty sure the AVG not being free thing was a hoax/rumour only.

I use a knock-off version of Norton 2005 (I know, I know) and it does me fine. I also like the Microsoft Antispyware program that is still free.

My Firefox extensions are:

IE View (gives a right-click option to open links in IE - handy for sites that don't work properly)

Searchpluginhacks (allows deletion of search plugins on Firefox 1.5)

Imagezoom (guess)

Imageshack right-click (gives a right-click option to automatically rehost pics)

Oh, and bookmark http://mycroft.mozdev.org/index.html for search engines.