Happy..

Scottish Mag

It was offaly tasty :yes

Fnrrrrrrrghhhhm. :suicide:

Martin, didn't your mam ever tell you that it was rude to talk with your mouth full? :up:

But how else are you supposed to tell him you're choking? :)

Your eyes start to water and you gag? :blink:

This is men we're talking about, when have you ever known them be that observant? :P

• 2 years later...
If Burns were English he'd get about as much of a mention as Brian Woolnough.

Christ!

Is there ANYTHING you won't bring back to geography and being a pure blood?

:)

How? I'm just saying. What next a fuckin Bill McCaskill Day?

To be fair, I was going to ask if Burns had done anything other than write? Was he political or anything? Just interesting he has a "day" and Shakespeare or Keats doesn't.

To be fair, I was going to ask if Burns had done anything other than write? Was he political or anything? Just interesting he has a "day" and Shakespeare or Keats doesn't.

Comparing Burns to Shakespeare is like comparing Stephen Caldwell to Bobby Moore.

Comparing Burns to Shakespeare is like comparing Stephen Caldwell to Bobby Moore.

Difficult to compare a playwrite to a poet though shirley?

Shakespeare can in some ways be viewed as a propagandist for the post reformation monarchy. Canny writer,no doubt about it, but as a man basically bought and paid for. MacBeth is a character assination of the last truly "Celtic" (and obviously Roman Catholic) king of Scotland, written to curry favour with Henry VIII's Protestant descendants.

Burns lived in different and less turbulent times, but was his own man.His works were more observational, less contrived and without any real agenda. You may prefer Shakespere's works to Burns, fair play. But theres always for me been an unpleasant whiff of kissing the ruling elite's arse about Shakespere's stuff.

Shakespeare can in some ways be viewed as a propagandist for the post reformation monarchy. Canny writer,no doubt about it, but as a man basically bought and paid for. MacBeth is a character assination of the last truly "Celtic" (and obviously Roman Catholic) king of Scotland, written to curry favour with Henry VIII's Protestant descendants.

Burns lived in different and less turbulent times, but was his own man.His works were more observational, less contrived and without any real agenda. You may prefer Shakespere's works to Burns, fair play. But theres always for me been an unpleasant whiff of kissing the ruling elite's arse about Shakespere's stuff.

:) You think Shakespeare was exclusively a playwright? Dear me. I had an argument with this new kid at work that educational standards are worse now and exams easier than they were. Surely this is a demonstration?

:) You think Shakespeare was exclusively a playwright? Dear me. I had an argument with this new kid at work that educational standards are worse now and exams easier than they were. Surely this is a demonstration?

Well ok yeah...chiefly a playwrite?.....I presume you're referring to his sonnets etc. Are you a big fan of them? :razz:

And if you're going to have a go at my education then you're obviously an expert on schooling standards of the 1970s and 80s. Who'd have thought that? :D

I dont know Burn's work to argue but i'll take your word on that. Might not be wholly fair on the bard though/

Shadowplay by Clare Asquith is a very scholarly account of the hidden political messages in Shakespeare's work. The church of England and the Queen were his political overlords, yet his work has many elements of catholic sympathy (if you buy her argument). These sympathies are coded into the text and Asquith argues that these codes, whilst a bit obscure to us, would have been much more obvious to those with sympathies on the losing side of the religious divide.

Sorry, PL I don't think I was saying Shakespeare was better or worse in his field than Burns. But it'd be hard to argue that Bob had more influence (and in so doing earn more reveration) than Bill.

that's why I asked if he was political or earned this acclaim for something more than just writing well?

I dont know Burn's work to argue but i'll take your word on that. Might not be wholly fair on the bard though/

Shadowplay by Clare Asquith is a very scholarly account of the hidden political messages in Shakespeare's work. The church of England and the Queen were his political overlords, yet his work has many elements of catholic sympathy (if you buy her argument). These sympathies are coded into the text and Asquith argues that these codes, whilst a bit obscure to us, would have been much more obvious to those with sympathies on the losing side of the religious divide.

Yeah....Shakesperes time was a strange one, the country was virtually a police state if you were a catholic, and its strongly rumoured that a lot of Shakesperes family were. I've not read the account you mention but I'm aware of his alleged religious sympathies, which makes his attitude to the crown and c of e a bit hyporcritical if you ask me.

Yeah....Shakesperes time was a strange one, the country was virtually a police state if you were a catholic, and its strongly rumoured that a lot of Shakesperes family were. I've not read the account you mention but I'm aware of his alleged religious sympathies, which makes his attitude to the crown and c of e a bit hyporcritical if you ask me.

Hyopcritical? Or sensible? Marlowe was killed because of his beliefs.

Sorry, PL I don't think I was saying Shakespeare was better or worse in his field than Burns. But it'd be hard to argue that Bob had more influence (and in so doing earn more reveration) than Bill.

that's why I asked if he was political or earned this acclaim for something more than just writing well?

I can tell you weren't mate but Stevie may have missed the point slightly :)

Shakespere and Burns had a lot in common in that they both tell us a lot about the human condition but they did it in different ways. Burns wrote in the lowland Scots dialect, which has led to claims (which I'm not completely in disagreement with) that it was little more than doggrel by those a bit sniffy about the Scots in any case. Shakespere was a lot more formal, and with his sponsors being establisment institutions he was always a lot more likely to be celebrated than a Scots poet born only 14 years after the Stewart dynaties' last effort to rise up and put a catholic on the throne of Great Britain. History is written by the winners.

Burns life coincided with American independance and the French Revolution so he lived in intersting times and sometimes (not explictly) refers to some of the themes of revolution eg mans liberty in the poem "a mans a man for a' that" which was an inspiration to later liberal and labour movements. But he is more famous for romantic songs and ballads and long form colloquial verse such as "Tam o Shanter".

yeah...as I say for anyone with catholic sympathies it was an horrific time. But why suck from the royal teet if you had a completely different agenda? He couldve sat in Warwickshire and made gloves with his old man and took mass from a priest coming out of his priest hole once a week if he wanted to be true to himself.

yeah...as I say for anyone with catholic sympathies it was an horrific time. But why suck from the royal teet if you had a completely different agenda? He couldve sat in Warwickshire and made gloves with his old man and took mass from a priest coming out of his priest hole once a week if he wanted to be true to himself.

Political subversion is so much more fun though!

I can tell you weren't mate but Stevie may have missed the point slightly :razz:

Shakespere and Burns had a lot in common in that they both tell us a lot about the human condition but they did it in different ways. Burns wrote in the lowland Scots dialect, which has led to claims (which I'm not completely in disagreement with) that it was little more than doggrel by those a bit sniffy about the Scots in any case. Shakespere was a lot more formal, and with his sponsors being establisment institutions he was always a lot more likely to be celebrated than a Scots poet born only 14 years after the Stewart dynaties' last effort to rise up and put a catholic on the throne of Great Britain. History is written by the winners.

Burns life coincided with American independance and the French Revolution so he lived in intersting times and sometimes (not explictly) refers to some of the themes of revolution eg mans liberty in the poem "a mans a man for a' that" which was an inspiration to later liberal and labour movements. But he is more famous for romantic songs and ballads and long form colloquial verse such as "Tam o Shanter".

So that's a no then. :)

• 11 months later...
Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
If Burns were English he'd get about as much of a mention as Brian Woolnough.

Happy Burns Day for the scotch people anyway :lol: