Emre Denies FA Charge

Magma

Taken from bbc.co.uk/football

Newcastle's Emre denies FA charge

Emre was at the centre of controversy at Goodison

Newcastle's Emre has denied a Football Association charge of using racially-aggravated and/or insulting words in the December game at Everton.

The charge relates to an alleged incident during the Premiership match that Newcastle lost 3-0.

Toffees keeper Tim Howard and defenders Joleon Lescott and Joseph Yobo reacted furiously towards the 26-year-old Emre after Newcastle had won a penalty.

The Turkey midfielder has also requested a personal hearing.

Referee Dermot Gallagher did not hear the alleged comments, and the FA wrote to Everton to request further information after Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder claimed afterwards there was "no charge to be answered".

Roeder also stated that "Everton are comfortable with that as well".

The Magpies boss had earlier issude a statement saying that he had vistied the Everton dressing room after the match but insisted that he did not try to cover up the incident.

"At the conclusion of the match, I went into the opposition dressing room to apologise for what had been an ugly incident on the pitch," said Roeder.

"I was doing the decent thing because I am sensitive to the image of the sport.

"At no time did I make any apology for racist comments because Emre had told me clearly what he had said, and while not being particularly pleasant, it was not racist."

Emre's agent Ahmet Bulut said: "I spoke with Emre and he said that he never said anything racist to the player."

Edited by Magma