Villa line up Bouma deal

Scottish Mag

Aston Villa are understood to be closing in on a deal for PSV Eindhoven defender Wilfred Bouma.

Reports in Holland claim that the Dutch international is travelling to England to undergo a medical at Villa Park on Monday.

Bouma appears poised to become the latest player to quit the Dutch champions after Villa matched a minimum fee release clause in his contract.

The 27-year-old is now due to meet Villa boss David O'Leary to discuss personal terms ahead of clinching a move to The Premiership.

O'Leary has lined up the swoop for the centre half due to the continued concerns surrounding the fitness of Martin Laursen.

If Bouma does sign for Villa, he could be quickly followed to The Premiership by Lee Young-pyo, as the South Korea international is due to undergo a medical at Tottenham Hotspur.

PSV have little option but to accept Bouma's departure due to the clause in his contract, although it is unclear what the sum is.

An unknown Premiership club met that asking price earlier this month but they were unable to meet Bouma's wage demands.

Bouma has three years remaining on his contract at Philips Stadion and has been a key figure in the defence for several seasons.

Liverpool have also been linked with a bid for the powerful stopper but it appears Villa are homing in on his capture, with Bouma's agent Ger Lagendijk expecting the transfer to be completed.

Lagendijk told De Telegraaf: "The chance is 90 percent that Bouma will leave.

"We hope to get an agreement with the club today."

With the transfer of Lee and Bouma, almost the total succesfull team of PSV has left.

Would like Bouma at NU. can play centre half and back up for left back (played there before). Good signing by Villa.

Decent signing, but he is a bit overrated I would say. He has played on the left full back position, but he was absolutely shocking there. As a centre back he is allright, about Villa level. Not good enough for Liverpool though..

Edited by SCF_NUFC

I'd play Bramble instead of BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM tbh.

21288[/snapback]

All a player has to do to see his stock climb at NUFC is

a) have an extended injury while the rest of his teammates play poorly, or

:blink: leave the club

To be fair, Bramble did look like finding his feet last season. I'd like to see him next to Boumsong again when fit, but Taylor has really put his name in the frame for an extended run in the team.

Taylor should be one of the first names on the team sheet. It will be criminal if he is pushed to the flanks when Bramble comes back.

Taylor should be one of the first names on the team sheet.  It will be criminal if he is pushed to the flanks when Bramble comes back.

21422[/snapback]

Right now I agree, but we have some time to see how our current pairing does before Bramble's fit again.

Could be due to the fact he has little option, could possibly be the reason for selling Hughes as he says Taylor as a replacement "utility man"

I hope I'm wrong.

Could be due to the fact he has little option, could possibly be the reason for selling Hughes as he says Taylor as a replacement "utility man"

I hope I'm wrong.

21436[/snapback]

No way. Taylor is a center back and I think Souness has recognized that finally.

I hope I'm wrong.

21436[/snapback]

Sima, although I agree with you that Taylor is a centre back and deserves an extended run in the team, who of the current squad of players would you play on the left if Bramble was fit again and Baba out injured (or supposedly so)? Would you play Elliot or try something else?

I hope I'm wrong.

21436[/snapback]

Sima, although I agree with you that Taylor is a centre back and deserves an extended run in the team, who of the current squad of players would you play on the left if Bramble was fit again and Baba out injured (or supposedly so)? Would you play Elliot or try something else?

21518[/snapback]

I'd have no choice but to play Taylor there but then again I didn't see the point in selling such a versatile player as Hughes for such a paltry sum.

I hope I'm wrong.

21436[/snapback]

21518[/snapback]

I'd have no choice but to play Taylor there but then again I didn't see the point in selling such a versatile player as Hughes for such a paltry sum.

21526[/snapback]

Agreed!