Ref Last Neet

wykikitoon

I don't think a frustrated exclamation is grounds for a booking. It's the heat of the moment. Dissent should be things like card waving, refusing to retreat at free kicks, or prolongued harranguing of referees.

Neither do I, in principal. But when frustration turns into abuse I think referees should act. Football players are grown men, not little children. You don't see Michael Vaughan screaming 'what was that you cock' when he gets a dodgy LBW decision.

Not sure it's a valid comparison due to the relative speeds at which decisions are made, and the games themselves are played. If football was more leisurely and decisions were made after a few seconds, then I doubt there would be the same level of frustration.

Another nonsense explanation to excuse the vile behaviour of footballers. Many fast bowlers charge in, bowl the ball at 90mph into the pads then instantly turns to the umpire and appeal. Many times the umpire will instantly say not out, despite it looking plumb. Yet despite the 'speed at which the decision is made', the bowler still manages to avoid questioning the parentege of the umpire.

Agree with that. There is absolutely no excusing the behaviour of some of the complete cocks who play football when compared to other sportsman. In sports like cricket and rugby, from day one as kids they are taught to respect the officials and the officials will also do their job of stamping down on any dissent if it should arrise.

In football the players from day one act like spoilt brats and carry that through their careers, but ultimately the refs could stop it within weeks if they wanted and they never do. All it needs is for all refs to start dishing yellows out every time there is any dissent, and make sure they do it to the worst offenders usually found at the big teams (one of the main reasons refs won't do it and why the problem remains) and when the suspensions start hitting home managers will suddenly start making their playes shut their gobs.

Having just watched the Man City game and over-heard 'pass it you fucking idiot' on the mic, I can't recall hearing the same during a cricket match

Perhaps the differences in the 2 sports transcend both the players and spectators?

Perhaps. However I think bad language between players is an altogether different matter. And you've obviously never heard of sledging.

• 3 years later...
Agree with that. There is absolutely no excusing the behaviour of some of the complete cocks who play football when compared to other sportsman. In sports like cricket and rugby, from day one as kids they are taught to respect the officials and the officials will also do their job of stamping down on any dissent if it should arrise.

:lol: