Speed

snakehips

I'm on broadband (telewest) and the speed of this internet is fucking terrible. :blink:;)

How do I check the speed of the service being received and how can I improve it (eg do I need more RAM???) ??? It's nearly as bad as the fucking dial-up I use when I'm at work :razz:

I bought a new 'puter last summer (Compaq Presario from PC World) and the speed just hasn't been the same since.

Confused and pissed off.

Any help would be appreciated. :mellow:

Do you have a router? If so, you need your sync speed in your router status menu, that tells you the rate at which you are connected to your ISP. The hovering over the network thing doesn't always tell the truth, depending on your physical connection.

Also, i'd recommend BBMax and adslguide (google them) as more reliable speedtest sites.

have you plugged the broadband in? :mellow:

what does it show when you hover your mouse over the network icon on your status bar?

then try here > http://www.speedtest.net/

and post the results of both on here.

At the risk of appearing totally stupid, there aint a network icon on the status bar!!!! I've seen it before on the computers at work, but for some fuckin reason there aint one here! :blink:

Guest Patrokles

In that case your modem is probably plugged in via USB. Is there not a diagnostic program that was installed with it? As in Start -> All Programs -> Telewest Broadband -> ???

Or, more likely, he doesn't have 'show icon when connected' ticked.

In that case your modem is probably plugged in via USB. Is there not a diagnostic program that was installed with it? As in Start -> All Programs -> Telewest Broadband -> ???

Or, more likely, he doesn't have 'show icon when connected' ticked.

Possibly, aye.

But then he's not answered any questions so far so I wouldn't know.

Edited by nufc4ever

Control Panel, Network Connections, Right click on your broadband connection, Properties, Tick the 'Show icon when connected' box.

Still think that's a bit too techy for old Snakey like Dave. :lol:

:lol:

Okay, I've ticked the box (I can find my way round to doing that) and the icon says 100Mbps. I reckon it should be faster than that :unsure:

As soon as I have checked out what you lot have been posting since my last visit here I shall do what p/p suggested earlier.

Oh, I do have a USB connection. I've had the modem box a while but it ran much faster on my last computer {Carrera (sp)}. When I got this heap of shit, the pc kept crashing giving me 'the blue screen of death'. After various conversations with the experts, they decided it was because my pc couldn't keep up with the internet speed, due to being USB connected, so suggested using ethernet. I then bought an ethernet cable but for some unknown reason it didn't work!! ;)

So, I am on the USB connection.

;)

Okay, I've ticked the box (I can find my way round to doing that) and the icon says 100Mbps. I reckon it should be faster than that :rolleyes:

As soon as I have checked out what you lot have been posting since my last visit here I shall do what p/p suggested earlier.

Oh, I do have a USB connection. I've had the modem box a while but it ran much faster on my last computer {Carrera (sp)}. When I got this heap of shit, the pc kept crashing giving me 'the blue screen of death'. After various conversations with the experts, they decided it was because my pc couldn't keep up with the internet speed, due to being USB connected, so suggested using ethernet. I then bought an ethernet cable but for some unknown reason it didn't work!! :P

So, I am on the USB connection.

:lol::unsure:

That's what I meant earlier, that's the connection to your modem - 100Mbps is approx. 100meg broadband. You can't get that on any ISP in the world mate, to my knowledge. Everyone that uses a local area connection sees that as their speed, it means nothing.

Okay, I've done the one that p/p suggested.

The first figure was 3941 kbps

The second figure was 277 kbps

Now done the BBMax one:

Download 3941

Upload 362

So, folks, is this okay, or whaaaat??

Cheers for your help so far {btw}

Edited by snakehips

So that's 4meg download and 256k upload.

Not bad tbh, but what are you meant to be paying for?

Divvent knaa, tbh :lol::unsure: (eg it takes fucking aaaages for all the additional smilies to show themselves when I open the window for them)

It's absolutely nothing to do with your internet connection then. A 0.5meg download speed would piss that smilie window, never mind your 4meg.

Your PC is borked, or set up incorrectly. That is a whole new thread tbh... :lol:

First thing to try is a defrag. Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter. It might take a while.

Edited by nufc4ever

:(:dork:

What browser are you using Snakey out of curiosity?

:razz::razz:<_<:telephone::talk::secret:

Jonny, I am a complete retard when it comes to computers. I don't know a fraction of the stuff most people do :security::shades: I don't really know what you mean :o I am on Windows Internet Explorer. Is that what you're looking for??

I even got my 'windows for dummies' book out to see what 'browser' meant but it wasn't mentioned :o

Hey, but I can dance :o:o:D:rolleyes:

:(

Similar problems here like. On a wireless network, 4 computer and we're all having the identical problem.

Says on the bottom icon Speed: 54.0 Mbps, which is what it always said when it was working fine.

Now you click on a website, and it either doesn't load any pictures (BBC is a good example) or in the case of message boards, it loads half the page, then you have to keep pressing refresh to see the whole page.

On Tiscali by the way, phoned them and they said it was fine at their end. Any ideas?

Edited by Ally