I can't understand...

MrMiyagi

Why two superior managers have touted themselves for the managers job yet we're giving it to Allardyce? I'm by no means unhappy with Big Sam, but I would have been ecstatic with Houllier and to an extent, Sven.

Is this further evidence of the 'we don't want a foreigner in charge of wor club man' culture that has been adopted recently and attempts made to manipulate fans to this way of thinking through the silver propaganda fox that is Oliver?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Allardyce is a very good option for what we need right now. Sven hasn't managed at club football level for many years now and was on £5m a season when managing England. Houllier is a good manager but I could see why he and Sven would be seen as bigger risks than Allardyce. I think for once Shepherd has taken the sensible option.

For me, Houllier was the smallest risk of the lot.

Both Sven and Houllier have shown a great deal of winning pedigree whereas Sam has made his name by maintaining mediocrity with a small club. An achievement, yes, but I don't think it puts him in the same class as the other two, not by a long stretch.

Allardyce is the only one on their way up in English football. His key skills are organisation, getting the best out of underperforming players and playing effective football. He knows how to build a good squad on a small budget and this is exactly what we need right now.

I would be very happy with either of them but as said I think Allardyce is the smallest gamble. Souness had shown a good winning pedigree aswell.

What Allardyce has done at Bolton is a fantastic achievement, he stayed to continue but now feels he has gone as far as he can with them and wants to progress in his career. I don't think we should just look at trophies when it comes to this appointment because like I said before Souness has quite an impressive record there.

Allardyce is the only one on their way up in English football. His key skills are organisation, getting the best out of underperforming players and playing effective football. He knows how to build a good squad on a small budget and this is exactly what we need right now.

I would be very happy with either of them but as said I think Allardyce is the smallest gamble. Souness had shown a good winning pedigree aswell.

What Allardyce has done at Bolton is a fantastic achievement, he stayed to continue but now feels he has gone as far as he can with them and wants to progress in his career. I don't think we should just look at trophies when it comes to this appointment because like I said before Souness has quite an impressive record there.

Are you comparing Houllier to Souness?!

No I am saying that just because manager A has trophies and manager B doesn't it doesn't always mean that manager A is the best choice. It was more a comparison between Allardyce and Souness if anything.

Edited by Gejon

The long term aim of the club is to get back into Europe and win a trophy.

Now wouldn't it make more sense to employ a manager with a good record in Europe and at winning trophies?

Now wouldn't it make more sense to employ a manager with a good record in Europe and at winning trophies?

Houllier was on his way down when he left Liverpool and Sven hasn't managed a club since Lazio in 2000 where he spent a hell of a lot of money.

At the moment we are a long way from winning trophies, we need someone who can build us back up and take us back to Europe. I don't see why Allardyce can't do that just because he didn't win anything at Bolton or take them far in Europe.

Is Souness a better bet than Allardyce? He was won quite a few trophies and done fairly well in Europe over the years.

Bolton have consistantly over achieved and its all down to Allardyce, its pretty closed minded to suggest he won't be able to take us up a level or two just because he has always been at a small club (a club that would be a hell of a lot smaller if it wasn't for him).

Houllier was on his way down when he left Liverpool and Sven hasn't managed a club since Lazio in 2000 where he spent a hell of a lot of money.

At the moment we are a long way from winning trophies, we need someone who can build us back up and take us back to Europe. I don't see why Allardyce can't do that just because he didn't win anything at Bolton or take them far in Europe.

Is Souness a better bet than Allardyce? He was won quite a few trophies and done fairly well in Europe over the years.

Bolton have consistantly over achieved and its all down to Allardyce, its pretty closed minded to suggest he won't be able to take us up a level or two just because he has always been at a small club (a club that would be a hell of a lot smaller if it wasn't for him).

The whole 'Souness won stuff' arguement doesn't wash. Souness has had a mixture of success and failures. Houllier and Sven have succeeded in every job they've been in so it's not comparable.

Why the fuck does everyone bum Houllier, he was shite at Liverpool IMO.

Yeah winning the treble was the SHITTIEST thing he could do

2 second rate trophies. Good effort for the FA though.

Some of his signings were appauling.

The whole 'Souness won stuff' arguement doesn't wash. Souness has had a mixture of success and failures. Houllier and Sven have succeeded in every job they've been in so it's not comparable.

Well the argument against Allardyce is he hasn't won stuff, Houllier has been at bigger clubs and so has Sven.

I think its fairly obvious that Allardyce is the smaller risk and have given my reasons. If you don't agree fair enough.

And some were fantastic...

Then again Ferguson paid £28m for Veron so if he touts himself for the job we'll snub him..

Well the argument against Allardyce is he hasn't won stuff, Houllier has been at bigger clubs and so has Sven.

I think its fairly obvious that Allardyce is the smaller risk and have given my reasons. If you don't agree fair enough.

I don't think there is an argument 'against' Sam, just that there's better options available.

In your opinion. Do you not think that Sven not managing at club level for 7 years means he could be a bit more risky than a manager who has done consistantly well during that time at a Premiership club?

Houllier is a lot less of a risk and I would be more than happy to see him here, my point isn't that he wouldn't be an excellent appointment, my point is that I can see why he is seen as more of a risk. Wrongly or rightly he was sacked from Liverpool because they felt his performances were slipping, he has gone on to do well in his next job but again its at a team that was pretty much set up to achieve what he has achieved. Some even feel he failed to get the best out of them in the champions league.

I am not really fussed, all 3 would make me happy as they are good managers and a MASSIVE improvement over anything we have had since SBr.

Then again Ferguson paid £28m for Veron so if he touts himself for the job we'll snub him..

Veron was the best midfielder in the world (mabye except for Zidane) at that point.

Veron was the best midfielder in the world (mabye except for Zidane) at that point.

And? If the manager couldn't see that he didn't have the caliber to succeed in the premiership then he's surely shit. So which of Houlliers signings have been floptastic?

So which of Houlliers signings have been floptastic?

Is that sarcastic?

In your opinion. Do you not think that Sven not managing at club level for 7 years means he could be a bit more risky than a manager who has done consistantly well during that time at a Premiership club?

Houllier is a lot less of a risk and I would be more than happy to see him here, my point isn't that he wouldn't be an excellent appointment, my point is that I can see why he is seen as more of a risk. Wrongly or rightly he was sacked from Liverpool because they felt his performances were slipping, he has gone on to do well in his next job but again its at a team that was pretty much set up to achieve what he has achieved. Some even feel he failed to get the best out of them in the champions league.

I am not really fussed, all 3 would make me happy as they are good managers and a MASSIVE improvement over anything we have had since SBr.

Sven has shown that he's still capable of managing a team, look at how England have done since he left. Club football is different, but he's watched that many premiership games over the last few years that he's hardly been away from the scene playing golf and he wouldn't be walking into unknown territory.

Houllier got the chop at Liverpool before really being given opportunity to turn it around. He had the health issues around the same time which did affect things, and he's gone on to prove that he's still a quality manager. He made some absolute bargain signings at Liverpool. He signed players like Hyypia, Henchoz, Risse for nearly nothing, and they went on to become an integral part of Liverpool's success. I think his record in the transfer market is better than people make out.

I do rate Allardyce highly I just feel he's got a lot to prove in comparison to the other two.

Houllier struggled after he has a heart attack and got sacked for finishing 4th the league, if you look at his record there it was superior to Bobby Robson's in his time here, he's now gone on to Lyon to manage one of the best teams to watch in Europe, their style of football is both fantastic to watch and also wins games.

I'm not saying Allardyce can't get us back into Europe (Roeder did last year ffs) but to suggest he's a better manager for us than Houllier is ridiculous, you employ the best man for the job and Houllier is far superior to Allardyce.

As for asking if Souness is better than Allardyce? :D If you look at CV's you look at how bad someone has been as well as how good, Souness has been sacked at least half a dozen times and the main bulk of his success trophywise was in the early part of his career, what is this good European record Souness has in the last 10 years? You say Allardyce has built Bolton up but Houllier did the same at Liverpool, he took over the mess that was left by Souness and Evans and made Liverpool into a CL team.

Yes Bolton have over achieved, but how much easier is it to achieve stability in a small team with little pressure than to win something at a club where if he loses the first 3 games the pressure will be on? Look at the difference between Steve Coppell at Reading and Man City if you wan to see the difference between being at a club with a high level of pressure and expectation.

I haven't said he won't be able to do it here so don't call me closed minded when you've just made it up LeazesGejon, all I've said is Houllier is the far superior manager to him, that doesn't mean I don't think Allardyce can do a good job here because I do.

Houllier struggled after he has a heart attack and got sacked for finishing 4th the league, if you look at his record there it was superior to Bobby Robson's in his time here, he's now gone on to Lyon to manage one of the best teams to watch in Europe, their style of football is both fantastic to watch and also wins games.

I'm not saying Allardyce can't get us back into Europe (Roeder did last year ffs) but to suggest he's a better manager for us than Houllier is ridiculous, you employ the best man for the job and Houllier is far superior to Allardyce.

As for asking if Souness is better than Allardyce? :D If you look at CV's you look at how bad someone has been as well as how good, Souness has been sacked at least half a dozen times and the main bulk of his success trophywise was in the early part of his career, what is this good European record Souness has in the last 10 years? You say Allardyce has built Bolton up but Houllier did the same at Liverpool, he took over the mess that was left by Souness and Evans and made Liverpool into a CL team.

Yes Bolton have over achieved, but how much easier is it to achieve stability in a small team with little pressure than to win something at a club where if he loses the first 3 games the pressure will be on? Look at the difference between Steve Coppell at Reading and Man City if you wan to see the difference between being at a club with a high level of pressure and expectation.

I haven't said he won't be able to do it here so don't call me closed minded when you've just made it up LeazesGejon, all I've said is Houllier is the far superior manager to him, that doesn't mean I don't think Allardyce can do a good job here because I do.

Seconded, I'm with you on this one. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, LeazesGejon :D

Sven has shown that he's still capable of managing a team, look at how England have done since he left. Club football is different, but he's watched that many premiership games over the last few years that he's hardly been away from the scene playing golf and he wouldn't be walking into unknown territory.

Houllier got the chop at Liverpool before really being given opportunity to turn it around. He had the health issues around the same time which did affect things, and he's gone on to prove that he's still a quality manager. He made some absolute bargain signings at Liverpool. He signed players like Hyypia, Henchoz, Risse for nearly nothing, and they went on to become an integral part of Liverpool's success. I think his record in the transfer market is better than people make out.

I do rate Allardyce highly I just feel he's got a lot to prove in comparison to the other two.

Got to look a bit further than just Sven leaving to see why England have gone to shit. McLaren isn't exactly a top draw manager but I see your point about still being in and around English football. Still can see the risk though and maybe why he wasn't appointed and I definitely think the foreigner aspect will have come into play with Sven and Houllier.

Houllier has made some good signings and some bad ones. Quite similar to SBR.