Tuesday's gossip

@yourservice

Real Madrid and Barcelona are preparing the ground for bids for Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas. (Daily Mirror)

Manchester United will step up their interest in Barcelona striker Eidur Gudjohnsen following Thierry Henry's move to the Nou Camp. (Daily Mirror)

The move for Gudjohsen is dependent on the successful sale of Alan Smith, Man Utd having accepted a £6m bid from Middlesbrough. (Daily Mirror)

Manchester City will make a £4m bid to snatch Yossi Benayoun from under Liverpool's nose. (Daily Mirror)

Liverpool outcast Djibril Cisse has been offered to Atletico Madrid in part exchange for Fernando Torres. (Daily Mirror)

West Brom winger Zoltan Gera is back on Gareth Southgate's shopping list at Middlesbrough. (Daily Mirror)

Atletico Madrid want to sign Jose Antonio Reyes from Arsenal. (Daily Mirror)

Derby are trying to wrap up a £2m deal for West Ham winger Matt Etherington. (Daily Mirror)

Birmingham are trying to sign midfielder Olivier Kapo from Juventus on a season-long loan. (Daily Mirror)

Preston boss Paul Simpson has swooped for Leeds former captain Kevin Nicholls. (Daily Mirror)

Barcelona are closing in on Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger to replace Frank Rijkaard. (Daily Star)

Arsenal will offer Arsene Wenger a 50% pay rise in the hope that he signs a new contract in the next week. (The Sun)

Fifa and the FA will give Newcastle around £10m in compensation for the injury which sidelined Michael Owen for 10 months. (Daily Mirror)

Sven-Goran Eriksson intends to bring in current Sweden assistant manager Roland Andersson as his number two. (Daily Mirror)

American tycoon Dan Williams will have talks with Blackburn today about a potential £67m takeover. (Daily Mirror)

Thierry Henry becomes the first player since the great Johan Cruyff to wear the number 14 shirt at Barcelona. (Daily Mirror)

SUNDERLAND boss Roy Keane has made an approach for Wigan’s £6million-rated England Under-21 left-back Leighton Baines, writes MARTIN BLACKBURN.

Baines, 22, has two years left on his current deal at the JJB Stadium.

But he is keen to put himself into the England frame after losing out to Reading’s Nicky Shorey in the last squad. :huh: fly me to the moon

MATT ETHERINGTON is on the brink of a £1.5million move to Derby.

PAUL INCE arrived in the Moo Camp as Barcelona new-boy Thierry Henry signed at the Nou Camp, writes BOB HAYES.

Milton Keynes, famed for its concrete cows, unveiled the ex-England midfielder as their new boss yesterday.

Ince, 39, said it was a tough decision to quit Macclesfield to join fellow League Two side MK Dons.

He said: “My heart said stay but my head told me to go. It feels like the decision Thierry Henry had going to Barcelona.

“Milton Keynes have more resources and — as I want to make it to the top — I had to go for it.”

SUNDERLAND reject Tommy Miller has been offered a shock chance of Champions League football by Steaua Bucharest.

Miller, 28, emerged as a surprise target for the Romanians after being released by Black Cats boss Roy Keane.

MILAN MANDARIC is ‘lying in wait’ to snap up Marek Saganowski.

The Leicester chairman admits he wants to sign the Polish striker who scored 10 goals in 13 games while on loan with Southampton last season.

Saganowski, 28, will cost the Foxes £700,000.

Mandaric said: “Marek is a player I like. There are a number of interested clubs. I’m lying in wait.”

Ex-Chelsea midfielder JODY MORRIS, 29, will train with Charlton in a bid to earn a permanent deal at The Valley.

Former Wigan captain ARJAN DE ZEEUW is set to sign for Coventry.

Fulham boss LAWRIE SANCHEZ will make Villa defender Aaron Hughes his first signing for £1million.

CHARLTON have signed Portuguese defender Jose Semedo, 22, on a free transfer from Sporting Lisbon.

HULL striker Nicky Forster, 33, has joined Brighton for £75,000.

TORQUAY have raided neighbours Exeter to sign defender Chris Todd, 25, for £15,000 on a three-year deal.

TERRY BUTCHER has made Hibernian keeper Simon Brown, 30, his first capture as Brentford boss.

CARDIFF have signed striker Steve MacLean, 24, on a free from Sheffield Wednesday.

MIDFIELDER Scott Murray, 33, has agreed a new one-year deal with Bristol City.

BOURNEMOUTH centre-back Eddie Howe, 29, has retired after failing to overcome a long-term knee injury.

Edited by @yourservice