Alreeeet

Southern Geordie

Hello Hello been a while since I've come on here since I've been on holiday to Menorca and back and forth from University trying to sort out my accomodation..

Anyways as a reward for getting into Uni my dad said he'd buy me a laptop.. In the price range of anything up to bout £600... Does anybody have any ideas where I can get a decent one?

I'd prefer to get one off dell but I'm not sure whether the laptops would have a slot for the broadband cable that I've got at my accomodation (I think it's a standard cable.. don't know the spec)

Anyways how have you all been? Cheers for the help :D:razz:

At Uni, all IT services will be run over standard network cables (cat 5e or cat 6 if it's geet posh and new) they will all use RJ45 connectors and any laptop you get these days will be fully network ready.

If you'll use it at home and plug it in directly to a broadband connection then the connection is entirely different- not many laptops will have a built in broadband modem.

I'll have a scout for you and try to find some decent prices.

Right, what exactly do you want to do with this laptop? And is portability paramount? Because you get an awful lot more for your money with a desktop system.

I'm amazed by how little laptop technology has moved on in recent years. Some of the lower-budget models now are little better than my laptop which is over 4 years old and was decent at the time but far from top-spec. Compare that to a few years ago and systems were completely obsolete within 2 years.

Well basically I want something I can take to and from home.. Not really bothered about the spec aslong as it's got network capabilitys for my Uni accomodation and a decent sized hard drive.. 40 gig probs.. Not too fussed about memory but 512k is pretty easy and cheap to get these days.

Anyways I know a desktop is cheaper but I'd rather have as portability is paramount

On the metro passing through Sunderland about a month ago, some mackem charver asked me if my ipod was a laptop. :razz:

28540[/snapback]

:D Was it on your lap at the time?

On the metro passing through Sunderland about a month ago, some mackem charver asked me if my ipod was a laptop. :razz:

28540[/snapback]

Mackems.....dim-witted as ever

So generally, most modern laptops and especially ones I would buy off of dell.co.uk will be compatible with network/internet cables..

28673[/snapback]

yes, very few new laptops do not have built in 10/100 LAN. Some even have GigaLAN.

a liitle bit more expensive than what you wanted but I do like the toshiba wide screen ones

SatelliteP10.jpg

decent spec too

- Toshiba - Satellite Pro 10 873

- Windows XP Home

- Intel Pentium 4 3200Mhz Processor

- Notebook 512Mb DDR SDRAM pc333

- 80Gb IDE notebook hard drive

- 15.4" WXGA TFT Screen (1280x800)

- Notebook internal DVD Rewriter

- 64Mb Radeon 9700

- Sound on board

- Standard onboard 10-100 RJ45 NIC

- Notebook on board 56k V90 modem

- Three USB ports

- 0 notebook PCMCIA slot used 1 free

- UK keyboard layout

- 1 DIMM slot used 1 free

- No Bluetooth

- Wireless Lan bg

£740 from here

http://www.europc.co.uk/home.aspx?ProductD...06&refId=nextag

Edited by luckypierre

That Toshiba looks a good un.

From the same site, a lower-spec Toshiba

- Toshiba - A60

- Windows XP Home

- Intel Pentium 4 3200Mhz Processor

- Notebook 512Mb DDR SDRAM pc333

- 40Gb IDE notebook hard drive

- 15" XGA TFT-LCD (1024x768)

- Notebook internal DVD Rewriter

- 64Mb Radeon 7000 (Shared)

- Sound on board

- Standard onboard 10-100 RJ45 NIC

- Notebook on board 56k V90 modem

- Three USB ports

- 0 notebook PCMCIA slot used 1 free

- UK keyboard layout

- 2 DIMM slots used 0 free

- No Bluetooth

- Wireless Lan bg

£551 inc vat

Not as upgradeable as the other (both DIMM slots used so upgrading memory would mean removing existing modules) but it's not a bad price.

Also, PC World (scum) have a good deal on this Fujitsu Siemens.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/034869

For me, that's an absolute steal considering the 17" is included.

Beware of any warranty-selling attempts though, as ever- do not get sucked in. Simply tell them you will leave without buying anything if they attempt to sell you one.