Geremi attracted by ambition

bawan

Geremi has admitted he did not hesitate in signing for Newcastle because of the 'huge ambition' at the club.

The versatile Cameroon international brought to an end four years on the fringes at Chelsea by moving to St James' Park at the beginning of July and the 28-year-old says that it did not require too much thought to become Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce's fourth signing.

"As soon as I heard that Newcastle were interested, I did not have to think for too long," Geremi told the club's official website.

"I just said yes straight away because it's a big club with huge ambition and amazing fans.

"I have always appreciated the Newcastle fans whenever I have played at St James' Park.

"The fans are the 12th man and when you see them, they are always there pushing you, which is good for the player."

Geremi, who spent a season on loan from Real Madrid at Middlesbrough prior to his £7million move to Stamford Bridge in 2003, joins Mark Viduka, Joey Barton and David Rozehnal as Newcastle summer recruits.

Allardyce is expected to hand Geremi his debut in Saturday's pre-season friendly with Carlisle and the player is looking forward to his opportunity.

"It's a big challenge for me and I hope to help the team achieve something because I know Newcastle have not won anything for a lot of years now," Geremi added.

"The manager will decide if I play in midfield or defence, but the most important thing is to be part of the team, and I'm looking forward to that.

"I just said yes straight away because it's a big club with huge ambition and amazing fans.

"I have always appreciated the Newcastle fans whenever I have played at St James' Park.

"The fans are the 12th man and when you see them, they are always there pushing you, which is good for the player."

He's in for a shock! The fans may be a 12th man but its for the opposition these days.

Guest stevieintoon
it's funny how much is still made of out 'atmopshere' at home games despite it being pretty much non-existent for at least 5 or 6 years now.

I can't remember a shit atmosphere against Chelsea for a long time to be fair. It wasn't great last season but it was alright, season before was fantastic, and the season Shearer scored that belta from the East Stand side, was one of the best in the last 5 years. Up there with Sunderland 3-2. My favourite atmosphere of late was Arsenal 1-0, when Nobby got the winner with 5 minutes to go.