Anyone else think...

adios

Just got this email, anyone else think this is a fantastic bit of free marketing by Shell?

for all the drivers out there....

FYI

This is not a 'round robin' but an extremely good idea.  Forgive me if you are not interested, but I do think it affects all of us.

We are hitting EUR1.10/litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying EUR1.50/litre.

The following suggestion makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read it and join in! Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies, ESSO and Statoil. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and Statoil petrol buyers.

It's really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)...and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (and not buy at ESSO/Statoil) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 95c a LITRE RANGE. It's easy to make this happen.

Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Tesco, Maxol, Texaco, Jet, etc. i.e. boycott Statoil and Esso.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!

You do realise that Petrol in the UK is among the cheapest in the world pre-tax. Petrol is selling at about 16p/litre the rest is tax.

28360[/snapback]

Have you missed my point by any chance?

You do realise that Petrol in the UK is among the cheapest in the world pre-tax. Petrol is selling at about 16p/litre the rest is tax.

28360[/snapback]

28362[/snapback]

I guess my reply was more aimed at the person who wrote the email. They are targetting the wrong area, certainly in this country and expect the same is true elsewhere in europe.

28360[/snapback]

28362[/snapback]

I guess my reply was more aimed at the person who wrote the email. They are targetting the wrong area, certainly in this country and expect the same is true elsewhere in europe.

28368[/snapback]

I got the email from Ireland. I live in France. I'm going to take a wild guess you're living in England. Amazing t'internet isn't it?

28360[/snapback]

28362[/snapback]

28368[/snapback]

I got the email from Ireland. I live in France. I'm going to take a wild guess you're living in England. Amazing t'internet isn't it?

28374[/snapback]

The internet is indeed an amazing tool. And as since this board is about an english football team and about 90%+ of its users are based in england does it come as any suprise that I live in england. Did the Manchestoh in the location not give it away? Or did you think that was the one in New Hampshire?

As i said there the bulk of the cost of fuel is tax. Its 82% tax in Britain. All europe will have simliar stupidly high rates.

I'm not a big fan of smileys but if someone makes a 'whoosh' smiley or even a little beardy, long-haired, weepy I'll use them, gratuitously.

Who are Statoil? BP?  Mobil?

28366[/snapback]

Statoil is the Norwegian State Oil Company

BP British Petroleum

Mobil are one of the old Standard (Rockefeller ) companies -they were Standard New York I think - they were taken over by EXXON (Esso in the UK - ex Standard New Jersey) a few years ago

Jet in the UK is owned by Conoco - now Conoco-Phillips after a merger a couple of years ago

I'm not a big fan of smileys but if someone makes a 'whoosh' smiley or even a little beardy, long-haired, weepy I'll use them, gratuitously.

28380[/snapback]

:sing:

28382[/snapback]

:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :( :( :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh::razz::D:lol::sing:

Excuse me for that outburst.

28380[/snapback]

:sing:

28382[/snapback]

:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :( :( :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh: :woosh::razz::D:lol::sing:

Excuse me for that outburst.

28388[/snapback]

That's quite hypnotic.

"For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies, ESSO and Statoil. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and Statoil petrol buyers."

yup - brilliant scheme - but basically flawed

the upstream part of EXXON & Statoil will sell the oil they're not selling through their own petrol stations to the people who you've moved to - eg BP, MURCO, Total, TESCO etc etc so no hurt there

Petrol stations make very little money - in the UK I think its about 1% - they make money on the papers, magazines, chocolate they sell - often oil companies are subsidising them anyway (they just move the profits in to the refining or upstream part of the operation - where-ever the tax is lowest)

Oil is a funny commodity - you can sell all you can produce if you sell it for 1 cent less than the market price and you can't sell a single drop at 1 cent over the market price.......................

Oil is a funny commodity - you can sell all you can produce if you sell it for 1 cent less than the market price and you can't sell a single drop at 1 cent over the market price.......................

28393[/snapback]

Have you ever read Catch-22 Rob? :razz:

28393[/snapback]

Have you ever read Catch-22 Rob? :razz:

28396[/snapback]

Funnily enough I have - but its a standard example in Economics 1.01 - there is no "brand" on crude

There were people who could pull the old egg trick - Nubar Gulbenkian was one - but sadly they are being squeezed out by the big guys

Edited by Rob W

Them Q8 garages you get out in the sticks, which country are they from? :D

28387[/snapback]

Eeyrak

28394[/snapback]

We'll have none of that. The oil they coincidentally found in Eeyrak is for use of the Eeyraky people and is not being stol...borrowed by the US. This wasn't an oil war. :razz:

"For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies, ESSO and Statoil. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and Statoil petrol buyers."

the upstream part of EXXON & Statoil will sell the oil they're not selling through their own petrol stations to the people who you've moved to - eg BP, MURCO, Total, TESCO etc etc so no hurt there

Petrol stations make very little money - in the UK I think its about 1% - they make money on the papers, magazines, chocolate they sell - often oil companies are subsidising them anyway (they just move the profits in to the refining or upstream part of the operation - where-ever the tax is lowest)

28393[/snapback]

Yep, I don't think that's the only flaw with the mail, the thing is I don't think the originator is genuine, I think it's quite plausible that this originated in some advertising agency or other. The writer is up to date enough to realise that Shell are no longer one of the big two and yet seems to show a complete lack of knowledge in Economics in general and as you've pointed out, particularly in the oil market.

I just wish people in general were this active about buyer power in general and not just when they're feeling a bit down about a minor issue. But then I'd be living in a utopia that'll probably never be.

28393[/snapback]

Yep, I don't think that's the only flaw with the mail, the thing is I don't think the originator is genuine, I think it's quite plausible that this originated in some advertising agency or other. The writer is up to date enough to realise that Shell are no longer one of the big two and yet seems to show a complete lack of knowledge in Economics in general and as you've pointed out, particularly in the oil market.

I just wish people in general were this active about buyer power in general and not just when they're feeling a bit down about a minor issue. But then I'd be living in a utopia that'll probably never be.

28400[/snapback]

the BIG companies - Exxon, Shell, BP, Total, Chev-Tex, AGIP, Conoco-Phillips are soooo big you can't really hurt them with a boycott in one place

Edited by Rob W

28393[/snapback]

28400[/snapback]

the BIG companies - Exxon, Shell, BP, Total, Chev-Tex, AGIP, Conoco-Phillips are soooo big you can't really hurt them with a boycott in one place

28402[/snapback]

But if the point of the email is just to ensure more business goes back to Shell?

Edited by DotBum