Aussie Rules - do I have this right?

Rob W

One of our Australian friends was round yesterday on her progress through the UK

She reckons neither Perth or Sydney are REAL Footie teams - meeja creations she said

35108[/snapback]

'Footie' is far bigger in Victoria than any where else I believe.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very big in S Australia as well....................

35132[/snapback]

Ah right, but certainly not in Western Aus or NSW although I think Perth won the Grand Final when I was there, I can't be sure though, as I didn't watch it. Similary, Rugby League is only really big in NSW and Queensland. By the way, have you ever seen the Ireland v Australia Gaelic/Aussie Rules Football matches they play? Very weird...

She reckons neither Perth or Sydney are REAL Footie teams - meeja creations she said

35108[/snapback]

Western Australia is an Aussie Rules state though, so West Coast being in the Grand Final is a big deal over there. There are 16 teams in the competition, 10 of which are from Victoria so it is very much our game. Both SA and WA have two teams with NSW and Queensland having one each. Sadly, this is the second Grand Final in a row with no Victorian teams playing, however Sydney once played in South Melbourne so the Victorians are jumping on that bandwagon. The only Victorian team that'd have no Victorian support other than from their own fans are Collingwood, because everyone hates those cunts.

Alex, when you were here Brisbane won the Grand Final. It would have been the third of their three Premierships in a row.

35108[/snapback]

Western Australia is an Aussie Rules state though, so West Coast being in the Grand Final is a big deal over there. There are 16 teams in the competition, 10 of which are from Victoria so it is very much our game. Both SA and WA have two teams with NSW and Queensland having one each. Sadly, this is the second Grand Final in a row with no Victorian teams playing, however Sydney once played in South Melbourne so the Victorians are jumping on that bandwagon. The only Victorian team that'd have no Victorian support other than from their own fans are Collingwood, because everyone hates those cunts.

Alex, when you were here Brisbane won the Grand Final. It would have been the third of their three Premierships in a row.

35159[/snapback]

Did they beat Collingwood? Perth, Brisbane, what's the difference? :razz:

Did you see any of the a-league matches on the weekend instead of the aerial ping pong?

I saw the Victory match against Queensland, the bastard ref gave Thompson a yellow for diving in the penalty area when he was clearly brought down. :razz: It just sucks that there were no Victory home matches while I've been in town, although I've done my bit by buying both a home and an away shirt.

I take it you've jumped on the new Sydney team bandwagon? I've been surprised how much of a following the Victory are getting here, I've come across a lot of people that are excited about football. It was always hard for me to get behind Melbourne teams in the past being neither Greek nor Croatian. It's great to have a team with no ethnic bias.

35026[/snapback]

Jumped on the Sydney bandwagon???

No, I will be supporting my home team of Newcastle (didn't you see my post in the football section?)

I'll go see a few Sydney matches because of the ease in getting there plus I'm trying to encourage the kids I coach to support local football, so I will organise groups to go from my club.

Another great idea I've heard is a lot of English and Scottish ex-pats are thinking about supporting the Central Coast as going to a match will be like going to an away fixture back home. An hour on the train, a couple of beverages, see the match and a train trip home with a bit of singing and a couple more beers.

Back to the AFL, I had to interview one of the Swan's fitness coaches today and after the interview he and I started talking about the new a-league. The other football codes are actually taking the new league seriously and are worried about what it is going to do to their supporter base. At last we may actually get people to understand it is the one world played football.

WILL SOMEONE ANSWER THE BLOODY QUESTION - please?

35848[/snapback]

Is this the question you're referring to Robert?

1.  16 teams in the ladder play 22 games (why don't they play 30? who decides which teams they DON'T Play)

Typically it's decided on ladder position in that if you finish in the bottom half of the ladder one season, you play two games against bottom half teams the next. However, for maximum $$$, there will always be two derby games each season regardless of ladder position. There will be two Adelaide vs Port Adelaide games, two Freo vs West Coast, two Carlton vs Collingwood, two Carlton vs Essendon and two Collingwood vs Essendon.

Confusing, no?

You can be both a (real) football fan and an Aussie Rules fan at the same time. So what if we have our own game and exclude everyone else from it? It's just because we're so much better than everyone else at everything it's nice to just stick to ourselves and not have to listen to the foreign whingers after we beat them.

I'm going to be in Perth for the Grand Final and now I don't know what I want to happen. I don't want the Eagle to make it because it'll make Perth unbearable, but that means Adelaide go through and I dispise anything South Australian. My hope? The rape squad of St Kilda win the Premiership, Victoria is the rightful home of it anyway.

31404[/snapback]

VB is the worst beer in the world and cant hold a candle to EMU export. At least you'll be able to drink a proper brew in Perth.

You can be both a (real) football fan and an Aussie Rules fan at the same time. So what if we have our own game and exclude everyone else from it? It's just because we're so much better than everyone else at everything it's nice to just stick to ourselves and not have to listen to the foreign whingers after we beat them.

I'm going to be in Perth for the Grand Final and now I don't know what I want to happen. I don't want the Eagle to make it because it'll make Perth unbearable, but that means Adelaide go through and I dispise anything South Australian. My hope? The rape squad of St Kilda win the Premiership, Victoria is the rightful home of it anyway.

31404[/snapback]

VB is the worst beer in the world and cant hold a candle to EMU export. At least you'll be able to drink a proper brew in Perth.

36113[/snapback]

Cooper's is the best imo.

31404[/snapback]

36113[/snapback]

Cooper's is the best imo.

36115[/snapback]

Me and my brother drank a lot of EMU when we were out there. Lovely.

36113[/snapback]

VB is terrible, along with Fosters, but the magic that is Carlton Cold, Crown Lager and Carlton Draught means that I can overlook other shitty beers.

But sadly I won't be drinking anything at all in Perth. ;) I can never drink another beer in my life and that makes me :wacko:.

WILL SOMEONE ANSWER THE BLOODY QUESTION - please?

35848[/snapback]

Is this the question you're referring to Robert?

1.  16 teams in the ladder play 22 games (why don't they play 30? who decides which teams they DON'T Play)

Typically it's decided on ladder position in that if you finish in the bottom half of the ladder one season, you play two games against bottom half teams the next. However, for maximum $$$, there will always be two derby games each season regardless of ladder position. There will be two Adelaide vs Port Adelaide games, two Freo vs West Coast, two Carlton vs Collingwood, two Carlton vs Essendon and two Collingwood vs Essendon.

Confusing, no?

36110[/snapback]

;):wacko::huh::D;);):blink::blink:

thanks................ I think.........................

Fuck! I had Cascade on the brain for some reason. :huh:

But Adelaide is even worse than Tasmania. :wacko:

36124[/snapback]

Nice place Adelaide man.

36132[/snapback]

I'm going to Perth again in a few days, that's a nice place. I like the locals there especially. ;)

Fuck! I had Cascade on the brain for some reason. :D

But Adelaide is even worse than Tasmania. :huh:

36124[/snapback]

Nice place Adelaide man.

36132[/snapback]

I'm going to Perth again in a few days, that's a nice place. I like the locals there especially. ;)

36135[/snapback]

Perth is dull as owt man, say hello to Wellsy for me though will you :wacko:

36124[/snapback]

Nice place Adelaide man.

36132[/snapback]

I like cosmopolitan Jetty Road in Glenelg... have to watch out for that bloody tram mind...................... ;):wacko:

36124[/snapback]

Nice place Adelaide man.

36132[/snapback]

I like cosmopolitan Jetty Road in Glenelg... have to watch out for that bloody tram mind...................... ;):wacko:

36428[/snapback]

Handy for the vineyards too, Barossa Valley Shiraz, now you're talking.

36124[/snapback]

Nice place Adelaide man.

36132[/snapback]

36428[/snapback]

Handy for the vineyards too, Barossa Valley Shiraz, now you're talking.

36432[/snapback]

gets bad out there on a Sunday - loads of Crows "sampling" one after another.......

gives you one hell of a headache as well.................