Test Match Special

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont start college till 1 tomorra so i can watch the 1st couple hours of play :blink:. It's going to be tense, but if the players keep their cool and dont mess about then we should hopefully twat the bastards! It's a shame about Jones being injured like, he's been in top notch form as of late.

Edited by Thompson

Breaking News - Mcgrath fit to play, no excuses for them then.

29603[/snapback]

Not even the weather?

29604[/snapback]

Do you think it might be a factor?

29618[/snapback]

What? The weather? Don't know, the toss might be a factor, too.

29603[/snapback]

Not even the weather?

29604[/snapback]

29618[/snapback]

29627[/snapback]

Speaking of which, where's Jimbo?

29603[/snapback]

Not even the weather?

29604[/snapback]

29618[/snapback]

29627[/snapback]

Why was The Krypton Factor called The Krypton Factor? I don't remember Krypton coming up whenever I watched it.

I always wanted to do the assault course though.

29603[/snapback]

Not even the weather?

29604[/snapback]

29618[/snapback]

29627[/snapback]

Speaking of which, where's Jimbo?

29629[/snapback]

oggle.jpg

If we win it then fucking mint, geddin!

If we lose and the series is drawn, the ashes urn is by far the shittest trophy in the history of sport and any winning captain lifting it cannot help but look like a complete pinch of snuff! :blink:

Hopefully Collingwood can play and kick some arse with hi slow 70mph pace bowling. Ohhh, he's a miser lads!

29661[/snapback]

The thing is though, if Anderson plays and his bowling is erratic he's going to contribute very little to the team. With Collingwood, he may not bowl a lot but he can contribute with the bat and he is a superb fielder.

I remember last time the Ashes were on Aussies were saying no one from the England team but get in their team inc Vaughan hmm lets take a look based on their performances from the ashes. Feel free to add comments as i didn't watch all the days play in some series.

Trescothick/Langer - No contest Trescothick top runs scorer in the ashes with 44.37 and very good slip catcher

Strauss/Hayden - Strauss with a batting average above 32.87 and Hayden struggling with just 22.57. Strauss edges it there but Hayden has held more catches with 8 desptie that Strauss wins it.

Vaughan/Pointing - Battle of the captains both have played their part, Vaughan averaging 33.75 with the bat and Pointing 40.50, Vaughan has been smarter as the captain and with Pointing losing his cool at times, but with the century in the 3rd test i would give it to Pointing.

Bell/Martyn - Both had poor series with both players averaging around 21. I'll call this one a draw.

Pietersen/Clarke - Pietersen amazing with the bat with 43.00 but poor fielding has let him down, Clarke also been impressive with the bat with 38.75, both second top scorers for their teams, but Pietersen on his debut and can change a game single handely its gotta be him for me.

Flintoff/Kaitch - No contest Flintoff player of the series handy with the bat and ball and probably the one of the best if not the best all rounder in the world at the moment. Kaitch hasn't been that bad himself with an average of 30.87 but its a no contest.

Jones/Gilchrist - Both been let down with the batting especially Gilchrist with a more than below par 22.57 when his average for his career is over 50 but has taking 17 catches. While Jones has started to change it in the 4th test with a handy 85 but his glove work has let him down. Gilchrist edges it though

Giles/Warne - Giles hasn't had a bad test with 10 wickets and hit the winning runs in the last test. But Warne leading wicket taker with 28 and more than handy with the bat with an average of 31.12 and a top score of 90. Its gotta be Warne

Hoggard/Lee - Hoggard with 12 wickets maybe doesn't get the praise he deserves at time and is usually used as a night watch man for England. Lee for me though has had a cracking series especially in the last test where he looked like he was going to rip through the last order. Taken 19 wickets and is also impressive with the bat. Lee pulls another one back for the Aussies

Harmison/Kasprowicz - Both tall bowlers but Harmison being more effective with the extra pace with 16 wickets to only Kasprowicz 4 although he hasn't played every test , although if you include Gillespies figures they will still be no match for Harmie's stats. Harmison here.

Jones/McGrath - Jones has come out of his shell in this series with 18 wickets and proved how valuable he is to the team will be out of the 5th test of course. McGrath although has missed 2 tests has still taken 14 wickets and he will play in the decider. If Jones was up against anyone else he would have won but its McGrath here so Mcgrath it is.

After all that an England/Aussie XI would look something like

Trescothick

Strauss

Pointing

Bell//Martyn?

Pietersen

Flintoff

Gilchrist

Warne

Lee

Harmison

McGrath

5 for England

5 for Aussies

1 Draw

Stats courtesy of BBC and this weeks Zoo. Time for a rest i think, tomorrow's game is going to be a cracker!

Edited by chip2388

Hopefully Collingwood can play and kick some arse with hi slow 70mph pace bowling. Ohhh, he's a miser lads!

29661[/snapback]

The thing is though, if Anderson plays and his bowling is erratic he's going to contribute very little to the team. With Collingwood, he may not bowl a lot but he can contribute with the bat and he is a superb fielder.

29664[/snapback]

So why not playe Tremlett, he's more accurate and has been 12th man for every test so far, James Anderson hasn't hit peak form for near 2 years since the world cup so...Colly or Trem for me. But I'd prefer another all out bowler. We already have 1 all rounder with Fred. Overcrowding the batting can be a bad thing.