Keane has a pop at the WAGs.

Guest alex

The singers and musicians who back up the people at the front however couldn't sell out a pub.

Given the right media management and publicity a monkey with diarrhoea could. Just look at the singing frog.

And Ali Dia managed to wangle himself a Premier League match with the right approach to self-publicity. Doesn't mean either him or the Crazy Frog got a lasting career out of it. :woosh:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The singers and musicians who back up the people at the front however couldn't sell out a pub.

Given the right media management and publicity a monkey with diarrhoea could. Just look at the singing frog.

And Ali Dia managed to wangle himself a Premier League match with the right approach to self-publicity. Doesn't mean either him or the Crazy Frog got a lasting career out of it. :huff:

Signed by Souness. :woosh: (he only actually played in the Prem due to a reserve game being waterlogged - even Souness isn't that daft)

Although I'm not sure I'd call 1 game where he came on as a sub and then was subbed and 2 whole weeks at Southampton before his contract was canceled and a few months for Gateshead a lasting career.

Now if he'd aimed himself at the pop business he might still be turning out No1's now. <_<

Edited by Fop

And Ali Dia managed to wangle himself a Premier League match with the right approach to self-publicity. Doesn't mean either him or the Crazy Frog got a lasting career out of it. :huff:

Signed by Souness. :woosh: (he only actually played in the Prem due to a reserve game being waterlogged - even Souness isn't that daft)

Although I'm not sure I'd call 1 game where he came on as a sub and then was subbed and 2 whole weeks at Southampton before his contract was canceled and a few months for Gateshead a lasting career.

Yes that was my point (etc.) <_<

Yes that was my point (etc.) <_<

Although again in the pop business hit happens all the time, where as in football it takes the prerequisite of Souness and they don't get to "No1" never mind stay there and then get a couple more (or even a lot more) hits.

Apples and Oranges no matter how many people seem to think pop and football rely on the same factors. :o

Because it takes backing and money. Natural talent counts for very little if you haven't got both.

There are hundreds of kids with rich parents who bankroll their pop "careers". Without a spark (which you seem to find hard to grasp is part of being a pop star) they don't get anywhere. Whether a persons talent is putting across a song/image or playing football is so irrelevant to the wider argument I'm amazed you're bothering tbh.

The point is this...(and I'll make it nice and clear for you :woosh:)

A guy who plays football is entitled to think of his career. If a girl (in this instance) is making money as a presenter or a pop star or whatever, that still constitutes a career. Whether you put value on her career is absolutely immaterial. There are millions of people who cannot get their heads around the idea that people can be paid millions of pounds a year to "kick a ball around a field". The fact is there is a market and people support that market by going to football matches.

The same is true for pop stars. Whether they are playing at Wembley Arena or G.A.Y., providing there are people paying to go and watch them they have a legitimate career.

I'm no particular fan of Victoria Beckham. She neither bothers me or excites me. She does however generate money through magazine deals and will no doubt make a fortune if and when the Spice Girls reform. That is a career. Simple. She has as much right to want to pursue it as her husband has to pursue his. To criticise Beckham for being "weak enough" to consider his wife's feelings/wishes/career is the reason I disagreed with some of the things Keane was saying.

His point about young footballers being swayed by tarts who just want to sponge off them is absolutely right though.

Because it takes backing and money. Natural talent counts for very little if you haven't got both.

There are hundreds of kids with rich parents who bankroll their pop "careers".

Without a spark (which you seem to find hard to grasp is part of being a pop star) they don't get anywhere. Whether a persons talent is putting across a song/image or playing football is so irrelevant to the wider argument I'm amazed you're bothering tbh.

Again to play football you need talent at football. To be a "pop star" you do not need to be able to (never mind talent in) sing, write songs, dance, or even be good looking (although all may help).

They are nothing like the same thing.

A footballer with talent may get spotted and because of their talent rise to the top almost at any time (look at Ian Wright).

But a pop star (of the bubble gum type were discussing anyway) is generally made.

The point is this...(and I'll make it nice and clear for you :huff:)

A guy who plays football is entitled to think of his career. If a girl (in this instance) is making money as a presenter or a pop star or whatever, that still constitutes a career. Whether you put value on her career is absolutely immaterial. There are millions of people who cannot get their heads around the idea that people can be paid millions of pounds a year to "kick a ball around a field". The fact is there is a market and people support that market by going to football matches.

The same is true for pop stars. Whether they are playing at Wembley Arena or G.A.Y., providing there are people paying to go and watch them they have a legitimate career.

You clearly didn't see Sporty Spice sing a V98 (and she's by far the best vocalist of them all). <_<

I'm no particular fan of Victoria Beckham. She neither bothers me or excites me. She does however generate money through magazine deals and will no doubt make a fortune if and when the Spice Girls reform. That is a career. Simple. She has as much right to want to pursue it as her husband has to pursue his. To criticise Beckham for being "weak enough" to consider his wife's feelings/wishes/career is the reason I disagreed with some of the things Keane was saying.

Exactly Posh is NOT a pop star (even though she tried and failed pretty miserable given her media covereage after the Spice Girl imploded), she's a professional celebrity, who basically these days is famous for being famous.

Now that is quite amazing, but she's got no great talent in doing that other than making sure the papers are completely aware of EVERYTHING she does down to having a :woosh:

His point about young footballers being swayed by tarts who just want to sponge off them is absolutely right though.

Indeed - so what was your point again?

The Spice Girls have reformed btw :woosh:

Aye their solo careers were all such storming successes they needed a break from them.

Clearly there'll now be another wave of "Spice Mania" eclipsing all that went before. :huff:

The Spice Girls have reformed btw :woosh:

Aye their solo careers were all such storming successes they needed a break from them.

Clearly there'll now be another wave of "Spice Mania" eclipsing all that went before. :huff:

They're no Take That like.

There are hundreds of kids with rich parents who bankroll their pop "careers".

Without a spark (which you seem to find hard to grasp is part of being a pop star) they don't get anywhere. Whether a persons talent is putting across a song/image or playing football is so irrelevant to the wider argument I'm amazed you're bothering tbh.

Again to play football you need talent at football. To be a "pop star" you do not need to be able to (never mind talent in) sing, write songs, dance, or even be good looking (although all may help).

They are nothing like the same thing.

A footballer with talent may get spotted and because of their talent rise to the top almost at any time (look at Ian Wright).

But a pop star (of the bubble gum type were discussing anyway) is generally made.

The point is this...(and I'll make it nice and clear for you :huff:)

You clearly didn't see Sporty Spice sing a V98 (and she's by far the best vocalist of them all). <_<

Exactly Posh is NOT a pop star (even though she tried and failed pretty miserable given her media covereage after the Spice Girl imploded), she's a professional celebrity, who basically these days is famous for being famous.

Now that is quite amazing, but she's got no great talent in doing that other than making sure the papers are completely aware of EVERYTHING she does down to having a :woosh:

Indeed - so what was your point again?

That people are entitled to a career despite what your personal parameters of acceptablity may be. Women who EARN their own money differ from those who don't earn their own money. It appears though, that you are as thick as the proverbial mince. Never mind dude...just carry on as you were I'm done.

:o

That people are entitled to a career despite what your personal parameters of acceptablity may be. Women who EARN their own money differ from those who don't earn their own money.

You'll never convince me that Posh has "earned" anything in her life. She is very, very good at being opportunist though, I'll give her that.

It appears though, that you are as thick as the proverbial mince. Never mind dude...just carry on as you were I'm done.

:woosh:

Can't attack the argument, so attack the poster. :huff:

But you're clearly a very frustrated individual so I'll forgive you. <_<

It doesn't really matter if you think Posh earned the money she has or not because she has anyway, i.e. she got paid for doing stuff. If you're going to extend the argument much beyond that you can argue almost anyone doesn't earn what they get paid. Especially me.

Edited by alex

It doesn't really matter if you think Posh earned the money she has or not because she has anyway, i.e. she got paid for doing stuff. If you're going to extend the argument much beyond that you can argue almost anyone doesn't earn what they get paid. Especially me.

You indirectly earn it by correcting grammar, spelling and phrase used on the internet, thereby minutely raising the standards of civilization. :woosh:

However can you think of anything that Posh has done that's been productive? She's probably indirectly responsible who knows how many trees being destroy and a significant proportion of the UK credit crisis.

You indirectly earn it by correcting grammar, spelling and phrase used on the internet, thereby minutely raising the standards of civilization. :huff:

However can you think of anything that Posh has done that's been productive? She's probably indirectly responsible who knows how many trees being destroy and a significant proportion of the UK credit crisis.

It's not a case of being 'productive' though. I don't like her but there's a market for gossip about her and she was in the biggest girl-band ever, I think, so she made money and makes money for giving something people want. You don't like her but that's irrelevent really. I don't like her either. I think some of the vitriol directed towards her at times is nuts though (in general, not from you).

I agree I'm good for humanity, unlike her, that's a whole different kettle of fish though :woosh:

That people are entitled to a career despite what your personal parameters of acceptablity may be. Women who EARN their own money differ from those who don't earn their own money.

You'll never convince me that Posh has "earned" anything in her life. She is very, very good at being opportunist though, I'll give her that.

It appears though, that you are as thick as the proverbial mince. Never mind dude...just carry on as you were I'm done.

I put my points clearly enough for even an amphibian to understand them...when it became clear you are a smart arse who is unable to reason with new information I gave up. Simple really. :o

I put my points clearly enough for even an amphibian to understand them...when it became clear you are a smart arse who is unable to reason with new information I gave up. Simple really. :o

See giving up is why you'll never be the next Posh Spice. :o

You indirectly earn it by correcting grammar, spelling and phrase used on the internet, thereby minutely raising the standards of civilization. <_<

It's not a case of being 'productive' though. I don't like her but there's a market for gossip about her and she was in the biggest girl-band ever, I think, so she made money and makes money for giving something people want. You don't like her but that's irrelevent really. I don't like her either. I think some of the vitriol directed towards her at times is nuts though (in general, not from you).

I agree I'm good for humanity, unlike her, that's a whole different kettle of fish though :woosh:

Nah the market for gossip is self sustaining thing (and no one is being productive or earning anything by sustaining it), much like the famous for being famous thing (which really she is, she's more famous post Spice Girls, than she ever was in them [even then people used to say she just used to stand in a corner and pose :huff:] really due to the way she's handled the media with her and Beckham).

Personally I don't hate her (I simply don't care enough to do anything like that), but I do think the world would be a much better place without her and those like her. Not just directly, but indirectly in the myriad supermarket gossip magazines (Heat!, Chat!, Shite! and various other eye straining luminous things).

You indirectly earn it by correcting grammar, spelling and phrase used on the internet, thereby minutely raising the standards of civilization. :o

Nah the market for gossip is self sustaining thing (and no one is being productive or earning anything by sustaining it), much like the famous for being famous thing (which really she is, she's more famous post Spice Girls, than she ever was in them [even then people used to say she just used to stand in a corner and pose <_<] really due to the way she's handled the media with her and Beckham).

Personally I don't hate her (I simply don't care enough to do anything like that), but I do think the world would be a much better place without her and those like her. Not just directly, but indirectly in the myriad supermarket gossip magazines (Heat!, Chat!, Shite! and various other eye straining luminous things).

The bits in bold contradict each other imo. I've said before you'd start an argument in an empty room though :huff:

Can't attack the argument, so attack the poster. <_<

But you're clearly a very frustrated individual so I'll forgive you. :o

See giving up is why you'll never be the next Posh Spice. :P

Giving up what? I thought you didn't need talent to become a pop star... :huff: