Whats new

jaythesouthernmag

we need a powerful and athletic frontman who is great in the air, someone like Kenwyne Jones would be perfect judging by what I've seen of him this season. A bit more pace on the wing would be welcome, maybe that geezer Giles Barnes, that lad has a bit of magic and pace. Our side is so one-paced, especially when the likes of Smith, Milner, Geremi, Barton and Butt are in the midfield or attack. Pace is an important factor in what seperates the top sides from the rest IMO.

Agreed. Viduka is great...on his day, but how often does that happen?..and how many games can he string together?

Don't get me wrong Duke's is a great signing, but to expect the team tactics to revolve around a fella who will miss games here, there and anywhere is really not the way to success.

Michael Owen is a wasted talent at the moment. No chances, the only ones being when the opposing defence makes a mistake. Martins deserves a decent run in the side but hoofing long balls to him and Owen despite Martin's Jordanesk leaping abilities means fuck all because his touch and control are shite. Opposing teams are having a field day seeing Owen and Martins with their backs to the goal. Nothing is being done to alleviate the problem. OK, Joey Barton will get better with the game time he gets under his belt but the team is still slow and laboured.

As for Milner, well he really looks tired and jaded. He is just going through the motions, call it what you will. He only has one move and that is the dummy left then right which won't fool any defence. No good!

And I won't give players preconceived reputations but Giles Barnes reeks a lot of Kieron Dyer. Plenty of ability and pace but a very questionable injury record and attitude.

Will he really step up, or will he forever be a player with ability yet to shine like Dyer???

Do we gamble elsewhere or do we keep to our very recent traditions of buying crocks with great reputations?

The side is in a transition phase...I accept that, but at the minute it looks like a side who cannot create chances; long or short. That is the most worrying thing about it all.

I for one think any credible manager should be able to get those players to create chances. Pass & move, triangles, one touch, run into space, pass into space, first time crosses, slide rule passes, etc. Don't tell me those players cannnot achieve all of those things which result in chances.

We look absolutely clueless going forwards, if it wasn't for marauding runs by zog, and occassionally milner, we would be Wimbledon a la eighties. Little pace in the side, woeful invention. I am concerned if BS doesn't 'find his team' quickly we could be in for a dramatic plunge down the Shitewater Valley Death Slide.

Give him time, yes absolutely. Support the team, aye. See with my own eyes abject mediocrity, apparently so.