Big Sam - We're at rock-bottom

bawan

Sam Allardyce says Newcastle United have hit 'rock-bottom' after a 3-0 home defeat to Liverpool.

The Magpies conceded four against Portsmouth in their previous game at St James' Park and were again woeful in front of their own supporters.

Once Steven Gerrard fired Liverpool into a 28th minute lead, Newcastle wilted and could have conceded more but for the profligate finishing of Fernando Torres.

The home fans jeered the team at half-time, and again at the final whistle, to put the pressure on Allardyce in his first season on Tyneside.

The former Bolton boss concedes he is in an unusual situation and has called on his players to 'stick together'.

"I have never quite found myself in this predicament before to be honest with you," admitted Allardyce.

"But I have dealt with some difficult situations and this one is a good challenge.

"You roll your sleeves up and you get on with your job. You know what's right and you know what's wrong and you get it put right.

"Hopefully, that starts at Blackburn Rovers next week.

"We have hit rock-bottom at the minute and we have got to get ourselves out of it.

"There's only us who can do it by sticking together and trying to get as many players fit as we possibly can and showing a lot more grit and determination to acquire that result."

He is starting to sound like Terry Butcher when he was manger of Sunderland - thats all he went on about - rolling his sleeves up and scrapping for results etc. - worrying - i thought you could improve your performance by playing some organised football and not making wank decisions before and during the game - then again what do i know