Oh lord

Meenzer

I've heard some big changes are afoot for 2009. Not only are Scotland considering putting forward their own entry but apparently the whole voting system is going to change at the final. Have you heard anything about this?

I haven't heard anything about a change to the voting system, though they really need to make it so only the finalists vote in the final and not all the losing semi-finalists too, because the whole thing goes on faaaar too long as it is. And Scotland can't enter until they secede from the UK, because they're already represented by anything the BBC enters.

What's your opinion on 'political' voting? I know lots of people think it's all rigged because Terry Wogan says it is but isn't it more likely that neighbouring countries have similar music tastes so they vote for what they like and what they're familiar with? If it is purely political, why isn't there one country (or a few) who is (are) contiually winning the contest? No one has won two Eurovisions since Ireland's dominance in the early 90s.

Exactly. Neighbouring countries voting for each other is entirely understandable really, particularly when they enter their big stars who are popular across national borders - and Wogan thinks Lithuania and Macedonia are "neighbours" so I wouldn't trust his opinion on the subject anyway... Particularly since he never seems to complain about the UK routinely shovelling points Ireland's way (not that we did last year, mind).

There is a problem with immigrant/second-/third-generation people voting for the country of their heritage, viz. the big votes to Turkey from Germany, Armenia from Belgium/Netherlands etc. (and UK/Ireland for that matter), but it's hard to see a way around that really. Maybe get the expert juries back in and make it 50/50 jury/televote, I dunno.

With UK entering guys like Daz Sampson we're never really going to stand a chance. Our last five entries have been our five lowest placed songs in the history of the competition (although the glorious 16th place James Fox managed in 2004 is tied with Nikki French in 2000) and I know Jemini's Cry Baby coincided with the beginning of the Iraq shenanigans but do Europeans really hate us that much for a war that doesn't concern them? What were we doing in 1997 that made us so popular that they all voted for Katrina and her waves?

Well, we'd elected Blair two days earlier and he hadn't had time to become a warmongering liar yet, but I reckon they probably liked us because we entered a decent middle-of-the-road song that was performed competently. God forbid we ever start doing that again, obviously. :hiya:

I remember a lot of complaints last year because Serbia won it thanks to votes from other former Yugoslav states. I thought that formerly bitter enemies voting for each other was a thing to be celebrated personally, but if it comes at a price of the integrity of Eurovision then maybe I'm wrong. :hiya:

Can someoine rename this thread so that the hundreds of people who don't give a shit about Eurovision don't keep opening it.

If they're too retarded to remember what it's about from one visit to another, they deserve everything they get. :hiya:

Can someoine rename this thread so that the hundreds of people who don't give a shit about Eurovision don't keep opening it.

If they're too retarded to remember what it's about from one visit to another, they deserve everything they get. :hiya:

That;s discrimination againts alchoholics.