Tesco labels will show carbon footprint.

Park Life

Tesco is to test putting "carbon labels" on its own-brand products next month in a move to enable consumers to choose products which are less damaging to the environment.

The retailer will put carbon-count labels on varieties of orange juice, potatoes, energy-efficient light bulbs and washing detergent, stating the quantity in grammes of CO2 equivalent put into the atmosphere by their manufacture and distribution.

Chief executive Sir Terry Leahy said: "We will give the carbon content of the product and the category average." The labels should eventually allow shoppers to compare carbon costs in the same way they can now compare salt and calorie content.

The UK's biggest supermarket first announced its intention to put carbon counts on up to 70,000 products some 15 months ago. It has since been working with the Carbon Trust to find an accurate method of labelling. "It has not been simple, but we are there," said Leahy yesterday. Tesco will unveil the details of the scheme shortly, and the chief executive said he hoped the labels "will end up being a standard".

He promised "a revolution in green consumption", saying he wants to bring the environmental movement into the mass market. Tesco's corporate carbon footprint is about 4m tonnes a year.

The imminent appearance of carbon labels was revealed as Tesco unveiled record annual profits of £2.8bn - up nearly 12% on last year despite the economic slowdown. The group operates 1,600 stores in the UK and the same number in overseas markets, and has increased its sales by 11% to £52bn.

In the UK, Tesco's trading profit broke through £2bn despite the credit crunch and the decline in consumer confidence."

Is this for real? ;)

I'm amazed it's not Sainsbury's doing it first. They're clearly betraying the middle classes.

On that point M&S can't afford to do it packaging wonderland dontcha know...

Of course they can afford to do it, they're just busy working out the logistics of printing the relevant data onto a label that they can attach to a piece of cling film that gets shrink-wrapped to the outside of the carton holding each single Gala apple on its own individual polystyrene tray.

I'm amazed it's not Sainsbury's doing it first. They're clearly betraying the middle classes.

On that point M&S can't afford to do it packaging wonderland dontcha know...

Of course they can afford to do it, they're just busy working out the logistics of printing the relevant data onto a label that they can attach to a piece of cling film that gets shrink-wrapped to the outside of the carton holding each single Gala apple on its own individual polystyrene tray.

;)

Is this for real? ;)

Sadly I suspect so.

If it's "eco-green-carbonfootprint-sustainable" it's "sexy" marketing at the moment.

It's also quite cunning as it shifts the focus from the shop to the customer.

Of course in reality whatever "carbon footprint" value they actually show, is like to be as accurate as your average Zimbabwean election result.

Does the label have a label saying how much CO2 was used to make it? And does that label have a label? Ad infinitum.

I hope so. Soon the only products sold by supermarkets will be huge balls of labels.

Does the label have a label saying how much CO2 was used to make it? And does that label have a label? Ad infinitum.

All the transporting around the country....

People should buy local produce wherever possible etc..

I hope so. Soon the only products sold by supermarkets will be huge balls of labels.

Then an eco-labelling war will start and label terrorists will infiltrated lunchtime shopping with home made labellers and sticky tape. My god it's war!!

And hessian bags to take them home in.

All the transporting around the country....

People should buy local produce wherever possible etc..

I do. Use the local shops which I can walk to from home etc. There's a cracking little fruit and veg shop near mine. It just isn't practical for everyone though.

And hessian bags to take them home in.

Fair trade ones at that.

I remember when I moved back from Germany and I took fabric bags - not hessian, mind - with me to the supermarket for the first time. I soon realised I was committing a terrible social faux-pas.

Who'd have thought I'd end up being the trend? ;)

I remember when I moved back from Germany and I took fabric bags - not hessian, mind - with me to the supermarket for the first time. I soon realised I was committing a terrible social faux-pas.

See I have a hessian bag with the Hessen Kassel logo on it. Superhessiantastic tbh.

Who'd have thought I'd end up being the trend? :P

Couple of years ago in some places you might well have been stopped from taking them in and pretty much accused of shoplifting (which is one of the major reason supermarkets encouraged the death of the reusable bag in the first place).

Soon though (unless the credit crunch does develop into the 2nd Great Depression and people have other things to worry about anyway) you might be beaten to death if you accidentally use a throw away polybag. ;)

I'm actually pretty intrigued by the etho-eco-carbo-sustaininess (or not) of :icon_lol: bags for dogs in this green new world. B)

Who'd have thought I'd end up being the trend? :P

Couple of years ago in some places you might well have been stopped from taking them in and pretty much accused of shoplifting (which is one of the major reason supermarkets encouraged the death of the reusable bag in the first place).

Soon though (unless the credit crunch does develop into the 2nd Great Depression and people have other things to worry about anyway) you might be beaten to death if you accidentally use a throw away polybag. ;)

I'm actually pretty intrigued by the etho-eco-carbo-sustaininess (or not) of :icon_lol: bags for dogs in this green new world. B)

With plastic bags it's getting rid of them that's the problem right? Cause they are just a by product of the oil industry.

See I have a hessian bag with the Hessen Kassel logo on it. Superhessiantastic tbh.

SuperWolfgangHessiantasticPlasticIsAtrocious tbh.

Who'd have thought I'd end up being the trend? :whistle:

I'm actually pretty intrigued by the etho-eco-carbo-sustaininess (or not) of B) bags for dogs in this green new world. :P

With plastic bags it's getting rid of them that's the problem right? Cause they are just a by product of the oil industry.

I think it's the length of time to biodegrade and their potential by-products with breakdown + wildlife issues (for ones that escape captivity) that are the "big issues" - hard to tell though as it changes nearly weekly (nearly as bad a bio-fuel, saviour of the planet 1-2 years ago, :icon_lol: own fuel now).

Although given the actual tonnage of them, I think it's really just they are an easy target, more than an particularly effective target (changing from plastic to glass bottles for example would give much bigger all round benefits).

But I am genuinely baffled by the issue of dog poo bags. An eco-etho paradox I guess. :whistle:

I'm actually pretty intrigued by the etho-eco-carbo-sustaininess (or not) of B) bags for dogs in this green new world. :P

I think it's the length of time to biodegrade and their potential by-products with breakdown + wildlife issues (for ones that escape captivity) that are the "big issues" - hard to tell though as it changes nearly weekly (nearly as bad a bio-fuel, saviour of the planet 1-2 years ago, :icon_lol: own fuel now).

Although given the actual tonnage of them, I think it's really just they are an easy target, more than an particularly effective target (changing from plastic to glass bottles for example would give much bigger all round benefits).

But I am genuinely baffled by the issue of dog poo bags. An eco-etho paradox I guess. :whistle:

Glass bottles are so much nicer.

More greenery to chew on............

One less burger, one safer planet

By Derrick Z. Jackson Published: April 15, 2008

Earth Day is a week away, so brace yourself for cuddly, hug-the-planet blubbering from the presidential candidates. John McCain will tell you we must be the "caretakers of creation." Hillary Clinton will talk of recycling and efficient light bulbs. Barack Obama will surely tell us we "cannot afford more of the same timid politics when the future of our planet is at stake."

Ah, but what about hamburgers? When the candidates tell us to stay out of McDonald's, then we will know their light bulbs are on. The end of timid politics is when they say that with the planet at stake, you must eat less steak.

With fatal food riots in poor nations, and with China rapidly approaching Western levels of consumption, we in these obese United States must redefine what constitutes, to borrow from McDonald's, a "happy meal." Scientists are concluding that along with more fuel-efficient cars and curbing industrial pollution, the simple act of eating less meat could help slow global warming.

Glass bottles are so much nicer.

Hard to get a dog turd in one though.