England versus South Africa

Tooj

Pattinson is a very odd decision. There are bowlers younger than him, bowlers with more test experience than him, and bowlers with more wickets than him this season, most of whom are actually English. Although I haven't seen him bowl this season so maybe he'll blow the saffers away, but I'm not holding my breath.

This batting line up looks very weak, Ambrose at 6 and Jimmy Anderson at 9 ffs!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again from the Guardian:

Pattinson's position in the first class averages this year = 44th.

Pattinson's position in the list of first-class wicket takers this year = 17th.

Number of bowlers who have taken more wickets than Pattinson this year and are eligible for England = 11.

Number of bowlers who have taken more first class wickets and done so at a lower average than Pattinson this year = 6.

I hope he makes me look very silly.

I've always thought Jimmy was a better batsman than people give him credit for. I don't think 9's too high for him - he's easily two places better than Monty.

Again from the Guardian:

Pattinson's position in the first class averages this year = 44th.

Pattinson's position in the list of first-class wicket takers this year = 17th.

Number of bowlers who have taken more wickets than Pattinson this year and are eligible for England = 11.

Number of bowlers who have taken more first class wickets and done so at a lower average than Pattinson this year = 6.

I hope he makes me look very silly.

I've always thought Jimmy was a better batsman than people give him credit for. I don't think 9's too high for him - he's easily two places better than Monty.

He averages around 13 which is alright but he's frequently the not out batsman. His highest score is only 28. Ideally the number 9 should be able to play more shots and look more composed at the crease, but he's hardly useless with the bat. Monty shouldn't be above 11 tbh.

Flintoff shouldn't bat above seven, but we need a genuine batsman at number six because Ambrose is no way good enough. Broad can bat a bit but I'm not too impressed by his bowling. Just think how bad this team looks compared to how it did a week ago.

Edited by TheInspiration

Bring back Geraint Jones tbh.

Fuck off.

It was lighthearted because I like Jones a lot being a Kent fan and I have his autograph, but his time as an England keeper is over. Still, are Ambrose and Prior really much better?

Cook and nightwatchman Anderson bat very well together. Anderson survives a brave onslaught and is out for 33 (can't blame him really). Pietersen comes to the crease and scores 13 off his first 4 balls and gets out similar to how he got out in the first innings. We're still 180-odd behind with 5 sessions remaining in this Test, which we'll need to bat out. I'm not feeling confident with other two remaining "recognised batsmen" - Ambrose and Flintoff, who has just returned from a long spell out and hasn't batted well for England in ages.

I love KP, but what was he thinking? All we needed him to do was bat for ages and he lasts five balls after hitting three of the previous ones for four.

Jimmy. :jesuswept:

Edited by Walliver

A lot has been made of the bowling attack and how it is much of a muchness and I agree that it is. England's problems with the bat are just as big though. The last test was the first time in ages that we'd made a big score iirc.

soooooooooooooooooooo what would be everyones line up for the next test? I'd be looking at something along the lines of:

Cook

Strauss

Vaughan

Pietersen

Bell

Collingwood/Broad/ Simon Jones

Flintoff

Read

Harmison

Anderson

Panesar

I'd personally love to have Simon Jones back in the team if he was 100% fit.

soooooooooooooooooooo what would be everyones line up for the next test? I'd be looking at something along the lines of:

Cook

Strauss

Vaughan

Pietersen

Bell

Collingwood/Broad/ Simon Jones

Flintoff

Read

Harmison

Anderson

Panesar

I'd personally love to have Simon Jones back in the team if he was 100% fit.

I'd be tempted to play Read but he shouldn't bad above 8 for now and Flintoff shouldn't bat above 7 also. I think looks good but Sidebottom should be back and deserves a place, and maybe Vaughan should drop down the order if it suits him better. Also, the Stuart Broad situation is an awkward one - not good enough with the ball, but he batted superbly again today and it would seem harsh to drop him after that knock.