England versus South Africa

Tooj

Guest Stevie
Textbook Stevie, "I know fuck all about cricket so I'll just wade in here to post more regionally biased football nonsense as usual".

My views: Broad & Pattinson out, Harmison and Bopara in. Fred can bowl as one of four. The batting isn't good enough - neither Flintoff nor Ambrose can bat at 6. As loathe as I am to drop bowlers for batting failures, the only one I want to drop is Vaughan, his batting isn't good enough but I'll give him the rest of the series because of his captaincy. He'll probably get his usual one century (and probably only score above 30) of the series next game anyway.

These changes would push Ambrose down to 8 - in which case you say why don't I bring in Read. I just feel the keepers should be given time, and Ambrose has done a good job with gloves and can bat.

Of course, this is all academic because the only thing that will happen will be Sidebottom in for Pattinson. It's so infuriating that after the debacle of the last Ashes, commitees were drawn up to ensure the right people were in place to make sure this didn't happen. Well now the selectors are useless (Pattinson?), the coach is uninspiring too submissive to his captain, who in turn can't buy a run but gets in regardless. The ECB are up there with the ICC, the FA, UEFA, and FIFA.

Pipe down a bit chump eh? I was replying to the ridiculous notion that the South has better sportsmen than the North.

By using only one sport as your evidence against?

There's only one sport as far as I'm concerned.

You told me last night you were getting into Golf :headphonedance:

Aye but I'm shite at golf, it's a good sport to bet on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's because Alastair Cook played.
Eh? I was being saracastic. We were crap. :rolleyes:

Cook batted very well though. It's a shame he can keep getting fifties but not convert them into big scores.

That said, he's not the problem. Vaughan failed yet again and some of the batting was just stupid.

Then again it wouldn't surprise me to see Vaughan getting a century in one of his three remaing innings this series (and get out for single figures in the others) and everyone will be talking about what a genius he is with the bat etc. Maybe that's a bit optimistic though.

edit: de Villiers gone. 4 wickets for Freddie now.

Edited by TheInspiration

Oh no, I really despise Cook. I actually do.
How come? Not sure how Cook is at fault for our poor performance when he top scored.

Met him once. Pompous knobhead.

Good player though, but he needs to be getting bigger scores.

Then again it wouldn't surprise me to see Vaughan getting a century in one of his three remaing innings this series (and get out for single figures in the others) and everyone will be talking about what a genius he is with the bat etc. Maybe that's a bit optimistic though.

edit: de Villiers gone. 4 wickets for Freddie now.

Yes it was. He's still useless.

Stupid, selfish end to KP's innings. His own ego got him out really.
Who is quickly followed by Flintoff, who yet again fails with the bat when England really need him.

Other than his 70-odd at Edgbaston in the 2005 Ashes, has he ever batted well when England were struggling?

So how long is Ian Bell going to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Benefit of the doubt for what?

For not being up to the job against the good teams.

I could have sworn he got 199 not two matches ago...

I was at Edgbaston today, I had a great day apart from some over-zealous stewards. KP was good but Collingwood was brilliant, didn't put a foot wrong all day, unrecognisable from the man who was scratching around for 45 minutes to score 4 in the first innings.

I was at Edgbaston today, I had a great day apart from some over-zealous stewards. KP was good but Collingwood was brilliant, didn't put a foot wrong all day, unrecognisable from the man who was scratching around for 45 minutes to score 4 in the first innings.

He did once when everyone was scoring. He does not perform consistently. Graham Hick got the odd high score but England still suffered because selectors waited years to realise he didnt actually have it in him to be a real international cricketer.

He did once when everyone was scoring. He does not perform consistently. Graham Hick got the odd high score but England still suffered because selectors waited years to realise he didnt actually have it in him to be a real international cricketer.

Hick could never ever live up to the hype that surrounded him before ever even playing for England, no one could have done that. Also Atherton is a cunt for that declaration in Australia.

No, no, no. A criticism that has frequently been thrown at Bell is that he doesn't make runs under pressure. When he came in at Lord's, England had lost three wickets for four runs and were in danger of collapsing. Bell not only stopped the rot and put is in a good position with Pietersen, but pushed England from a good position into a dominant one. That said, he his dismissal today was particularly brainless. However, he is one of the bright stars of this England team, and not a weak link. Comparing him to Graeme Hick is idiotic.