Who are the British creationists?

Fop

That's what I meant about it requiring luck to though. It requires the circumstances to be right too.

I don't disagree with what you put above though.

Nice discussing it with you anyway :snakehips:

The "luck" is fair enough when mentioning lack of extinction events but the beauty of natural selection is that it pretty much smothers luck over time.

You still need a receptive planet, hence the 'luck'.

Statiscally though a receptive planet is almost ineveitble - along with other types of planet giving rise to other life forms.

I find Fermi's paradox fascinating (if life elsewhere exists why isn't it here) but I feel confident we're not alone.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing with faith (and more importantly the way creationist undermining works) is it is so insidious that it can work at any time. Knowledge doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it, any more than it does loneliness or having a breakdown.

I don't think it was me who made the point about religion and evolution not being exclusive, however I do think it's fair for schools to teach creationism/intelligent design (in fact I'm not bothered whether or not they do tbh) not as an alternative to evolution, but as possible explanations for why we are here as opposed to how, as they questions they try to answer aren't quite the same.

In RE/Philosophy yes - in science no.

Of course.

That's what I meant about it requiring luck to though. It requires the circumstances to be right too.

I don't disagree with what you put above though.

Nice discussing it with you anyway :snakehips:

The "luck" is fair enough when mentioning lack of extinction events but the beauty of natural selection is that it pretty much smothers luck over time.

You still need a receptive planet, hence the 'luck'.

Statiscally though a receptive planet is almost ineveitble - along with other types of planet giving rise to other life forms.

I find Fermi's paradox fascinating (if life elsewhere exists why isn't it here) but I feel confident we're not alone.

Statistically inevitable but in all probability extremely rare at the same time.

My RE teacher was one of those breathy speaking people, she was a vegan, anti-abortion, and had gone so far on the path of political correctness, that she'd come full circle and was a bit of a homophobic, racist pain in the arse.

She said we'd be covering all the worlds religions including Islam, then pointed out the only slightly Asian looking kid in the class, on the first day of school. Regardless of the fact Altan was an atheist, it was genuinely the first time I'd ever noticed any kind of difference between us.

My RE teacher was one of those breathy speaking people, she was a vegan, anti-abortion, and had gone so far on the path of political correctness, that she'd come full circle and was a bit of a homophobic, racist pain in the arse.She said we'd be covering all the worlds religions including Islam, then pointed out the only slightly Asian looking kid in the class, on the first day of school. Regardless of the fact Altan was an atheist, it was genuinely the first time I'd ever noticed any kind of difference between us.

Legs Akimbo Theatre Group tbh.