Lee Ryder steps into Anals shoes admirably

peasepud

Jan 1st 2009 Lee Ryder wrote:

SHAY GIVEN has insisted he is not about to throw the towel in at St James’s Park. The long-serving goalkeeper has seen it all during his 12 seasons on Tyneside, but was visibly upset after the 5-1 home defeat against Liverpool. Given won the man of the match award by a country mile, and somehow kept the score down to just five after facing a tidal wave of attacks from the Merseysiders. Joe Kinnear’s close pal in football Arsene Wenger is interested in taking Given to Arsenal, but the United boss told the Chronicle at the start of December that no players would be sold in January. And even though the 32-year-old is contracted until 2011, Given has made it clear he is happy at Newcastle.

A source close to Given told the Chronicle: “Shay’s as committed to the football club as he has ever been. He’s always given his all for Newcastle United, and that will never change."

Just 5 or 6 hours later the rest of the worlds press wrote:

The Newcastle United goalkeeper Shay Given has shocked the club and its fans by issuing a statement saying he is dismayed at the direction the team is heading both on and off the pitch and that he is considering his fu ture at St James' Park.

The notice, issued through his solicitor, Michael Kennedy, came four days after he left the pitch at St James' visibly upset after Liverpool had routed Joe ­Kinnear's side 5–1, a scoreline that might have been doubled but for Given's man-of-the-match heroics.

In the statement, Kennedy said: "Shay is very despondent following the very poor performance last weekend. It was the lowest point of his football career and a performance he would not wish to be repeated. When he signed a five-year contract in 2006 it was on the basis that the club would challenge for major honours. But on the present evidence all that he can see ahead with the turmoil on and off the pitch is a battle for survival.

The king is dead...long live the king

All it lacked was a "wide of the mark".

Early days mate early days. No doubt Anal will be on the phone this morning.... "Lee son, take it from me, I didnt get to the top of my game for nothing, make sure you point out that remarks elsewhere are wide of the mark and such like, Just to show how much more we're in the know than the rest"

I'm disappointed with the lad tbh. What's with the references to the Chronicle? It's all about ME, lad. As in "I can exclusively reveal that reports linking Shay Given with Arsenal are wide of the mark. For I have it on good authority from a source at St James's that the plucky Irishman has no intention of leaving St James's in the near future. This was confirmed when Moses appeared to me in a dream last night and asked me to spread the good news, which I am happy to do."