PC crashing in new and novel ways

Meenzer

OK, so my nearly two-year-old PC running Vista (I know) has behaved itself impeccably up until the last month or two.

Since then, I've had trouble booting it - it'll often either freeze or power down while Windows is starting up and only boot all the way at seemingly random intervals.

And, presumably not unrelated to that, when running it occasionally powers down completely or freezes like this:

dscf0884vg8.jpg

or this (and yes I was reading this forum at the time :icon_lol:

dscf0886di9.jpg

i.e. whatever's on the screen at the time ends up looking all skewed like that and there's nowt to be done but reset. It isn't related to me using any specific applications or devices, it just seems to happen whenever it wants to.

For all I'm basically a techno-ignoramus, I don't see any reason it'd be a software or driver thing based on what I've done to the system recently (System Restore etc. did nowt either), so I can only assume something's fucked on the motherboard (which I'm totally incapable of diagnosing)... haven't tried anything like swapping out the RAM yet (since I'd have to buy more), so I don't know if it's anything at that end, though the Windows memory diagnosis tool thing says there's nothing wrong there.

Oh and now it's just done the whole skewed screen crash thing while attempting Startup Repair. Which never makes a difference anyway. :razz:

Anyone encountered this before or got any bright ideas? I've had a sniff about on Google but it's quite hard to describe the symptoms...

Interesting. Could that cause the system to hang like that (and not be CTRL-ALT-DEL-able), not boot in the first place etc.?

Definitely, the photos are a classic example of graphics card malfunction, especially when it crashes even before getting into windows

It's just the onboard, for what it's worth. Will see if I can find someone to borrow A. N. Other Actual Graphics Card from and see if that changes anything.

Do that, or just get the cheapest compatible card you can from ebay if you need to buy one

Looking at all that I'd say the graphics card is on its way out

Started happening at intervals to my laptop (vista).

Ran some registry cleaner which seems to have solved it. Only one lapse in 3 weeks now, when it was doing it

every other day.