Local knowledge needed, from local people

ewerk

I'm due to be working in Penshaw for a week and was considering staying in Newcastle while there, does anyone know how easy the commute would be from Newcastle? Seeing as I'll probably be relying on public transport / taxis.

Or alternatively if anyone knows of any decent hotels in the Penshaw area then that would be an option.

I'm due to be working in Penshaw for a week and was considering staying in Newcastle while there, does anyone know how easy the commute would be from Newcastle? Seeing as I'll probably be relying on public transport / taxis.

Or alternatively if anyone knows of any decent hotels in the Penshaw area then that would be an option.

Stay in Newcastle, don't stay round there it's a wankhole. Get the metro from the toon to Park Lane interchange, then bus to Penshaw from there, will be about 50-60 mins there and the same back.

The only nice hotel around there (sort of) that I know of is Lumley Castle in Chester-le-Street. It's still probably about 5 miles away though. Expensive as well.

Edited by alex

Lumley Castle seems to be fully booked for the dates I'm looking.

And fuck a 50-60 minute journey on public transport, should be about 25 mins in a taxi from Newcastle according to Google so might do that instead. I just don't want to end up spending my evenings in some shithole.

Booked the Hotel Du Vin in town, looks decent.

If you are trying to get from there to Penshaw in rush hour you'll be looking at at least 40 mins I would say. It'll not be a cheap taxi fare, it's the best part of 20 miles.

There is the George Washington Hotel in Washington which is passable, but doesn't solve the 'stuck in arseend of beyond' problem.

Lumley Castle seems to be fully booked for the dates I'm looking.

And fuck a 50-60 minute journey on public transport, should be about 25 mins in a taxi from Newcastle according to Google so might do that instead. I just don't want to end up spending my evenings in some shithole.

Don't stay south of the Tyne then, it's all a shithole all the way to the Cleveland Hills.

Booked the Hotel Du Vin in town, looks decent.

If you are trying to get from there to Penshaw in rush hour you'll be looking at at least 40 mins I would say. It'll not be a cheap taxi fare, it's the best part of 20 miles.

There is the George Washington Hotel in Washington which is passable, but doesn't solve the 'stuck in arseend of beyond' problem.

Read some bad reviews of GW Hotel.

Priced a taxi at around 20 quid each way, not too bad seeing as I'm not paying for it. :D