Government under pressure to end 'betrayal' of Gurkhas

Park Life

Ministers have been warned that a growing group of Labour rebels will demand that the Nepalese veterans, who fought for Britain in conflicts including the Falklands, be allowed to retire here.

The High Court last year declared that preventing Gurkhas who had served in the British Army before 1997 from living in this country was unlawful.

Government has betrayed us, say Gurkhas

New rules on Gurkhas' right to live in Britain condemned by Joanna Lumley

In response, the Home Office last week issued fresh criteria for allowing Gurkhas into the UK, but set the bar for entry so high that campaigners say that only a few hundred veterans will ever qualify.

The new rules dictate that only Gurkhas with at least 10 years' service are eligible to come to Britain. Soldiers from Commonwealth countries serving with the British Armed Forces can apply after only four years.

Campaigners described the Government's move as a "betrayal". Gurkhas have fought for Britain for 200 years and 45,000 died in the two World Wars.

Nick Clegg, the Liberal Democrat leader, has called for all former Gurkhas to be admitted to Britain and will later on Wednesday trigger a Commons vote on the issue.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today Programme: "It's a very simple principle. If you're prepared to die for a country, you should be allowed to settle in it."

He accused the Government of acting "despicably" by seeking to "scare people" by saying that giving access to all former Gurkhas and their families would mean 100,000 people coming to Britain.

Disgrace basically.

I have no sympathy - they sign up I presume based on a contract - I'd further presume that this contract doesn't mention a right of settlement. I'd also guess they sign up as an opportunity to earn a living and for status in their own country - both of which are received.

The notion of "fighting for Britain" is one I don't subscribe to - I think people in this country also sign up mainly for careerist/job related reasons though I accept many will believe this "servitude" concept.

I have no sympathy - they sign up I presume based on a contract - I'd further presume that this contract doesn't mention a right of settlement. I'd also guess they sign up as an opportunity to earn a living and for status in their own country - both of which are received.

The notion of "fighting for Britain" is one I don't subscribe to - I think people in this country also sign up mainly for careerist/job related reasons though I accept many will believe this "servitude" concept.

It's a cheap way of getting pretty high quality cannon fodder.

That's perhaps the thing they haven't realised, when they are not so cheap, they may not be so needed.

Don't see how they can morally run a two tier system though (legally I'm sure they have it worked out).