To fly or not to fly

pertoon

I felt most sorry for our illustrious team who didnt fancy slumming it on what no doubt would have been a luxury coach for a five hour drive to Dundee.

Those of us not on around 50k a week have to slum it for hours on coaches or trains to travel around the country for what has become of late the dubious pleasure of seeing our lads in action.

Living in the Midlands it takes me 4 hours by train to get to Newcastle and a second mortgage to buy the ticket. Out of curiosity i enquired once about the cost of flying though from Birmingham there is only a Business airline cost £350.00. Onhce you take out the time getting to the airport the fact you have to be there 1 hour before departure and travelling time the other end it probably doesnt make that much difference anyway.

Though i suppose as they had a private jet they would be chaufer driven to the steps of the plane and to the ground on arrival.

Inrigued about the whipround for the cost before Ashley coughed up. Surely out of the money they are on 8 Grand is peanuts.

I don't think you want our players to suffer the discomfort of a coach when they have to play football.

It sounds silly but the players need to be as relaxed as possible and ready to play, we don't want to give other teams an advantage.

I can imagine most games will be driven to anyway.

It sounds silly but the players need to be as relaxed as possible and ready to play, we don't want to give other teams an advantage.

Aw Tom how the world has changed, I remember "Clarkies" transport to away games was the back of a covered lorry with wooden benches for the players to sit on. Very relaxing on cobbled streets. :jesuswept:

Back when the ball weighed as much as a player and they had to play on broken glass whilst avoiding the German machine guns before the players were shoved back down the mines for a 42 hour shift and then they had to be up for training...

Back when the ball weighed as much as a player and they had to play on broken glass whilst avoiding the German machine guns before the players were shoved back down the mines for a 42 hour shift and then they had to be up for training...

eeeeh aa knaa, an drippin' samwitches fer bait wer a treat. :jesuswept:

Seriously, is anyone old enough or can even remember the 'cinder pitch'? also known as the 'red pitch'.

It was next to 'Huwoods' mining machinery factory on the Team Valley Trading Estate in Gateshead. If you were going down Bensham Road heading to Lobley Hill it was right there on the left next to the road right next to the Huwoods factory, in fact I think it belonged to Huwoods.

There wasn't many places to play footie when I was a kid during the war, most schools that had playing fields had them made into garden allotments. Used to play a lot on the North Durham Cricket Ground during the war, weren't supposed to but it was in awful shape and the pavilion had been gutted.

Played on that pitch a lot as a kid and had the cinder burns to prove it. It was a small pitch and I'm not sure if it was cinders or gravel but it certainly wasn't grass or dirt, and it was red in colour.

Not joking, and believe it or not, but I saw Hughie Gallagher kicking around on that pitch when he worked at Huwoods.

I don't think you want our players to suffer the discomfort of a coach when they have to play football.

hmmm - I saw Liverpool boarding a coach at Fulham last season - and that was a PL game

ours was a friendly FFS - they should have gone by train - there are still some folk who don't realise we're in the Championship

hmmm - I saw Liverpool boarding a coach at Fulham last season - and that was a PL game

ours was a friendly FFS - they should have gone by train - there are still some folk who don't realise we're in the Championship

How do you think they get to the airport? The Tube?