Carling Cup 3rd round VS Chelsea

2bias

Field a young side I say, our first team don't need the dent in confidence that this is likely to be, plus no sense in risky injury. Fire up the young and fringe players - nothing to lose here.

I'd go with this to a point.

Much as he did against Accrington, start a good few young 'uns, but have experience on the bench just in case it looks like we could pull off a result.

Ultimately avoiding relegation is the priority, but this early on on the season, there's nowt wrong with a confidence boosting cup run.

* fence sitting or what?*

• 4 weeks later...
Im sorry guys but every year people seem to be quick in dismissing the cup games. These games are our only realistic chance of getting close to silverware, yet so many of you are impervious to how well we do in them. For those who say that premiership status is key, i agree, but i dont recall us having a good cup run the season that we got relegated. Lets give it our all and hope that chelsea dont field their strongest 11. Come on the toon!!!

:lol:

Dilemma now is whether to field a stronger 11 or do you stick with the young lads who got you through. I'd personally give players like vukic and ameobi some playing time in the premiership games (maybe after 70 mins or so) and see how they fair. That would make his choice easier.

Vuckic was ordinary, but on the back of that Shola deserves a look in to the Premiership side.

Next cup game we should play a mix of age and experience as we did in this. We'd be devastated if a couple o our key players picked up injuries like Benayoun and Kalou did, so if I was Chris I'd definitely have that in the back of my mind, alongside of course an ambition to win the cup! Some strong sides went out here, so it's now a heck of a lot more open for someone like us.