raving

Dr Gloom

Went to just about anything between 95-98. Every Judgement Day, Rez, Plexus, etc. And amazingly never took any pills! Then started going to a D&B night at the uni, cant remember what it was called though, then moved to London where I've been a lot calmer. I did end up in some warehouse rave before xmas though and thoroughly enjoyed myself till the next morning when I felt like I'd been hit by a bus.

You're the first person I've known (except myself and the then Mrs TS) who was at Plexus.

I was beginning to think I had dreamt them all.

No it definitely happened! there were a few other similar things I can vaguely remember going to, Tsoma I think one of them was called and there was one at Northumbria Uni - think it may have only happened once and it was called Red Eye or something like that???

I went to a few at Northumberland too. Far better atmosphere at those events than anything I've been to in London.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, strange list like. I think it's been lifted from about 2 compilations tbh. Probably MoS/Cream. And aye Chez, I quite like 4Hero's early rave stuff but they did some nice jazzy d 'n' b / r&b stuff later on too. Jacob's Optical Stairway were similar. Funny how some of the older tunes, especially Acid House ones, seem really dated and some are still absolutely class and still sound fresh.

It is odd though, even some of the dated sounds still work in a retro way. Was listening to Acid Thunder by Fast Eddie the other day and although the production has that dated sound, i reckon it still sounds fresh if you know what i mean.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I'll tell you what I was listening to not long ago that took me back (from an old compilation) 2√231 - Anticapella. I'm basically a sucker for anything with that sort of piano riff on it though.

I used to love the old Piano riffs. Tunnel club in Shields used to play that kinda track all the time. I remember one night having an all nighter there. On leaving one of the lads looked at me and said "you're going to die today" :lol: got in the back of the van (another story) and basically cramped up everywhere.

Rozalla :lol:

Was just talking to a mate the other day about losing our marbles at Tribal Gathering about '96-ish. Dave Angel (not the eco-warrior) being a highlight back when he was a class techno DJ. Kraftwerk were on too but I don't think I saw them.

I was at that one. Luton Hoo?

Back in the day before mobile phones, you all just lost eachother, went off on your own weekends and sooner or later caught up again.

It's probably better now tbf.

Aye. I saw Zoe Ball on the way in before she was ushered away from the proles queue to the VIP entrance. I remember feeling absolutely fine in the car on the way and listening to tunes as the traffic jam to get in was massive. It was only when I tried to leave me seat that it went pear shaped. It was fucking freezing outside through the night as well (think it was in May). Quality event though. Basically everybody was on - American House DJs like Roger Sanchez, Sasha, all the UK Techno people that mattered, the Detroit Techno lot, all the drum and bass heavyweights, etc.

Went to just about anything between 95-98. Every Judgement Day, Rez, Plexus, etc. And amazingly never took any pills! Then started going to a D&B night at the uni, cant remember what it was called though, then moved to London where I've been a lot calmer. I did end up in some warehouse rave before xmas though and thoroughly enjoyed myself till the next morning when I felt like I'd been hit by a bus.

You're the first person I've known (except myself and the then Mrs TS) who was at Plexus.

I was beginning to think I had dreamt them all.

No it definitely happened! there were a few other similar things I can vaguely remember going to, Tsoma I think one of them was called and there was one at Northumbria Uni - think it may have only happened once and it was called Red Eye or something like that???

I went to a few at Northumberland too. Far better atmosphere at those events than anything I've been to in London.

To be fair I was about 15 when I was going to them (30 now like) so it's kinda hard to gauge it. I have had very few really top nights out in London and these days I dance less and spend my nights trying to get my dick wet!

Aye, strange list like. I think it's been lifted from about 2 compilations tbh. Probably MoS/Cream. And aye Chez, I quite like 4Hero's early rave stuff but they did some nice jazzy d 'n' b / r&b stuff later on too. Jacob's Optical Stairway were similar. Funny how some of the older tunes, especially Acid House ones, seem really dated and some are still absolutely class and still sound fresh.

It is odd though, even some of the dated sounds still work in a retro way. Was listening to Acid Thunder by Fast Eddie the other day and although the production has that dated sound, i reckon it still sounds fresh if you know what i mean.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I'll tell you what I was listening to not long ago that took me back (from an old compilation) 2√231 - Anticapella. I'm basically a sucker for anything with that sort of piano riff on it though.

Aye, nothing better than losing it to Italo House with massive piano break downs. I used to have a great list of a load of lost classics, off Gok Wan obviously. Two off the top of the head Clubland -Lovestrain, Secchi - I say Yeah. There's a few mixes of both of them but classic Italian piano house.

London-wise, The Final Frontier (Fridays at Club UK, Wandsworth) was class. It was ran by Universe who did Tribal Gathering and it had a proper 'rave' atmosphere for a club.

Also used to spend many a saturday afternoon down at 'Bassy G's' on Dean street - the place hummed of Brut and weed!

:lol: Forgot all about that place, used to spend hours down there buying records/ tapes and adding to my flyer collection when I was a youngun!

Also used to spend many a saturday afternoon down at 'Bassy G's' on Dean street - the place hummed of Brut and weed!

:lol: Forgot all about that place, used to spend hours down there buying records/ tapes and adding to my flyer collection when I was a youngun!

haha!! I wallpapered 1 entire wall of my bedroom with rave flyers (the rest were papered in film posters) Used to buy loads of them tape boxsets that looked like early 80's VHS's!! And was the proud owner of a few of those T-shirts with that little blue wizard thing on them!!

Some of the club/rave tapes (before club/dance compilations took off & went mainstream) were class. I remember one from Helter Skelter which included the minute's silence for MC Stevie Hyper D which always sent us into fits of laughter when we were listening to it wrecked :icon_lol::lol:

:lol:

What was the name of that place opposite the Waterside Palace on Forth Banks? Can't believe I ended up on there one night after clubbing. Technochavtastic :icon_lol:

haha!! I wallpapered 1 entire wall of my bedroom with rave flyers (the rest were papered in film posters) Used to buy loads of them tape boxsets that looked like early 80's VHS's!! And was the proud owner of a few of those T-shirts with that little blue wizard thing on them!!

Aye my walls were covered with them. Aye I also had the boxed sets like, mainly Tomorows world / Helter skelter and Judgement day/ Rez and stuff. Proper nostalgie thread this like :icon_lol:

What was the name of that place opposite the Waterside Palace on Forth Banks? Can't believe I ended up on there one night after clubbing. Technochavtastic :icon_lol:

I was just thinking about that as it's derelict now and you can see it when I go to work on the Metro. Wasn't it called the E(nergy) House or something like that?

I was just thinking about that as it's derelict now and you can see it when I go to work on the Metro. Wasn't it called the E(nergy) House or something like that?

Energy House 1994 Part 1

:icon_lol: Think I had a few of these on tape!

Rozalla :lol:

Was just talking to a mate the other day about losing our marbles at Tribal Gathering about '96-ish. Dave Angel (not the eco-warrior) being a highlight back when he was a class techno DJ. Kraftwerk were on too but I don't think I saw them.

Back in the day before mobile phones, you all just lost eachother, went off on your own weekends and sooner or later caught up again.

Aye. I saw Zoe Ball on the way in before she was ushered away from the proles queue to the VIP entrance. I remember feeling absolutely fine in the car on the way and listening to tunes as the traffic jam to get in was massive. It was only when I tried to leave me seat that it went pear shaped. It was fucking freezing outside through the night as well (think it was in May). Quality event though. Basically everybody was on - American House DJs like Roger Sanchez, Sasha, all the UK Techno people that mattered, the Detroit Techno lot, all the drum and bass heavyweights, etc.

Someone had an epileptic fit dancing next to me in a jungle tent about 5 am. I stopped them smacking their head into a tent post. I was leaning over them, still dancing, sort of trying to help and this old skool girl comes over to me and goes 'just fahkin leave him, he'll be right'. So I fucked off and skinned up, St John's FTW.

Edited by trophyshy

Some of the club/rave tapes (before club/dance compilations took off & went mainstream) were class. I remember one from Helter Skelter which included the minute's silence for MC Stevie Hyper D which always sent us into fits of laughter when we were listening to it wrecked :icon_lol::lol:

Terrible behaviour :icon_lol:

All time favourite mix-tape was the Sasha Universe from 92. Did you know that tapes are back in? Not old rave mixes obviously but loads of indie labels are releasing stuff on tape nowadays. Anyway, M17, Bomb The Bass, Degrees of Motion.

Sound on this is shit but i have it on vinyl, the bass is mint. On the b-side to Winter in July

Rozalla :icon_lol:

Someone had an epileptic fit dancing next to me in a jungle tent about 5 am. I stopped them smacking their head into a tent post. I was leaning over them, still dancing, sort of trying to help and this old skool girl comes over to me and goes 'just fahkin leave him, he'll be right'. So I fucked off and skinned up, St John's FTW.

Leaning over him shouting 'what ye on, where ye from?' :lol:

Energy House 1994 Part 1

By fuck, that takes me back :rolleyes:

Before my time.

They were saying on a music podcast I listen to that there's been no mainstreaming of new musical movements in the past decade (which I think I agree with) following on from the previous 3 decades when you had Punk, Disco, Grunge and Hip Hop. Seemed to me theye missed out rave there. Perhaps it was a UK/European phenomenon (it was a US podcast) but loads of mainstream dance music now owes a debt to rave surely.

Sorry If I'm repeating anyone. I've not read the thread. :lol:

Rozalla :icon_lol:

Leaning over him shouting 'what ye on, where ye from?' :lol:

:icon_lol:

Ended up driving a girl back to London (she'd lost all her mates) the next day for champagne and diazepam iirc.

Fit to drive like, obviously.

Energy House 1994 Part 1

By fuck, that takes me back :rolleyes:

I think there was the Blue Monkey and the original Afterdark as well, with people like tosh, dianne, seletcor c etc etc! Think I'll have a night on youtube listening to this shit like!