raving

Dr Gloom

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, strange list like. I think it's been lifted from about 2 compilations tbh. Probably MoS/Cream. And aye Chez, I quite like 4Hero's early rave stuff but they did some nice jazzy d 'n' b / r&b stuff later on too. Jacob's Optical Stairway were similar. Funny how some of the older tunes, especially Acid House ones, seem really dated and some are still absolutely class and still sound fresh.

It is odd though, even some of the dated sounds still work in a retro way. Was listening to Acid Thunder by Fast Eddie the other day and although the production has that dated sound, i reckon it still sounds fresh if you know what i mean.

I feel the same about voodoo ray by guy called Gerald. Still gives me goosebumps that tune

Aye, strange list like. I think it's been lifted from about 2 compilations tbh. Probably MoS/Cream. And aye Chez, I quite like 4Hero's early rave stuff but they did some nice jazzy d 'n' b / r&b stuff later on too. Jacob's Optical Stairway were similar. Funny how some of the older tunes, especially Acid House ones, seem really dated and some are still absolutely class and still sound fresh.

It is odd though, even some of the dated sounds still work in a retro way. Was listening to Acid Thunder by Fast Eddie the other day and although the production has that dated sound, i reckon it still sounds fresh if you know what i mean.

I feel the same about voodoo ray by guy called Gerald. Still gives me goosebumps that tune

I never really got the hype about that tune. I do quite like it though. I think a better one he was involved with is Pacific State. Liked his (sort of) jungle stuff as well, especially Black Secret Technology.

Wear FM :lol:

Was that with someone called Howie Dj'ing?

And MC Lee. They both played at Havanna's and then the Arena in Boro. Those two clubs were the best in the history of the north east, it wont please anyone to read.

Wear FM :icon_lol:

And MC Lee. They both played at Havanna's and then the Arena in Boro. Those two clubs were the best in the history of the north east, it wont please anyone to read.

Better than the colosseum? :lol:

Wasnt there an outdoor event down that way called Butterloggie or summit aswell, vaguely remember the name but before my time...

If we're talking house clubs I really liked Progress in Derby. Perhaps I was just young and innocent but it managed to be a glam club and have a really good atmosphere. I loved it even if it was ostensibly a 'handbag house' place. I normally preferred sweaty dives but I always had a good night there.

Edited by alex

Wasnt there an outdoor event down that way called Butterloggie or summit aswell, vaguely remember the name but before my time...

They were in the Boro then moved to Sunderland iirc.

They were in the Boro then moved to Sunderland iirc.

Was just about to mention the colosseum!! Never went myself but I did own a few mix tapes.

:lol::icon_lol:

Saw DJ smurf do a set a few weeks ago at a night on in the Barron and Baroness, the place was canny dead, que my pilled up mate making his way to the dance floor and start booling around like he's holding a neumatic drill. Cannit beat a bit of dutch gabber!

Saw DJ smurf do a set a few weeks ago at a night on in the Barron and Baroness, the place was canny dead, que my pilled up mate making his way to the dance floor and start booling around like he's holding a neumatic drill. Cannit beat a bit of dutch gabber!

Fucking hell that brings back memories! Remember the Gabba room at judgement day? was basically a cupboard with about 6 pilled up maniacs and me in there!!! Going ape shit to Smurf & UEP, class!

Fucking hell that brings back memories! Remember the Gabba room at judgement day? was basically a cupboard with about 6 pilled up maniacs and me in there!!! Going ape shit to Smurf & UEP, class!

Aye used to spend quite a bit of time in there (Until my ears started to hurt). There are still some events like that on in Newcastle like, usually at the stage door. Neophyte was on last friday but I missed it due to lack of funds...

If we're talking sweaty dives, I used to love this place called the arches in Sheffield. Proper underground warehouse type place under a railway bridge. They had the best door policy of any club I've ever been to. You could skin up and smoke freely plus their nights would go on until midday the following day sometimes. I remember seeing Randall, kemistry (rip) and storm there in 98. Night lasted over 48 hours. Good times.