DVD's on ebay

LeazesMag

which areas work on our equipment here in the UK, are we R2 ?

For PAL DVDs, the UK is R2, Australia R4, R0 will play on any DVD but remember some the whole PAL/NTSC thing is an added trap.

Most DVD players can be reset to play all regions but you need to find the code to do it.

Wikipedia's page on DVD regions

Edited by sammynb

For PAL DVDs, the UK is R2, Australia R4, R0 will play on any DVD but remember some the whole PAL/NTSC thing is an added trap.

Most DVD players can be reset to play all regions but you need to find the code to do it.

I'd rather not mess around with the codes, I want to get some sets of a yank soap comedy but they all appear to be imports

I'd rather not mess around with the codes, I want to get some sets of a yank soap comedy but they all appear to be imports

As I said it's not just regions it's also PAL v NTSC, so you may have a PAL DVD player that plays all regions but doesn't play NTSC.

BTW your computer's DVD drive will generally play all and either PAL or NTSC, if you're happy to sit at it and watch them.

Aye Leazes, most DVD players (or lots anyway) are actually multi-region but they've just been configured in the factory so that they only play Region 2 (in the case of the UK etc.). You can normally reset them quite easily, and there are plenty forums / sites out there with codes on for different makes and models. I set mine to region 0 so that it plays everything. Word of warning though, if you set it to region 1 then back to 2 and so on be careful as some of them have an inbuilt limit so that you can only set the value ten times or whatever before it stops being re-configurable. Setting it to Region 0 avoids this anyway like. If you've got an expensive DVD player and you really don't want to mess with it an alternative could be to get a cheap one (some of them are unbelievably cheap now on Amazon etc.) just for playing non-Region 2 DVDs. Just check first that it's a one that can be easily configured for different regions. i.e. see the same forums / sites.