Moving stuff over from one drive to another

Nyff

For some reason, my computer's drives are split up into C: and D:. C: has all the windows stuff on whilst D: originally had nothing. Now slowly my C: is getting full with my documents and program files and whatever. If I were to move all them over to my D: drive how many problems would that create? I mean, I know it would take ages, but lets say if I were to start up Football Manager, would it still be looking for files in C:/Program Files/SI/Football Manager or would it automatically guess that they are now in D:/Program Files/SI/Football Manager?

Also if I were to just have windows stuff on my C: partition, would that mean I would be able to reinstall windows without losing any data?

First things first, have you got a partitioned drive (i.e. a single hard drive split into 2 partitions) or have you got 2 physical hard drives?

Doesn't really matter tbh as Windows will deal with them in the same way but if it's 2 seperate drives it gives you scope to format the C drive without compromising your data.

IMHO when you have a setup like this where you have two logical drives, you should retain the C: partition for O/S and program files only and leave your data on the D: partition. Moving it across shouldn't be an issue although I'd copy it rather than move it for obvious reasons. I'm assuming D: is bigger than C:?

With regards FM, I'd leave what's contained within Program Files where it is. I haven't played the game for a few years so forgive me if I've got the locations wrong but I'm pretty sure all the 'save game' data is stored within the user profile:

c:\documents and settings\%username%\ for Win 2000 \ XP

c:\users\%username%\ for Win Vista \ 7

Initially FM will have an issue locating the save game data following a move but it should simply be a case of using a dialog box within the load data function to find the new location. If you 'copy' the data initially rather than 'move' it and it exists in both locations, you should be able to test this theory with a failsafe if it doesn't work.

Hope that helps.

AFAIK it is just one single hard drive split into two partitions. I will try copying everything over first and see if I have any problems, but like you say, if there are any then it is probably just a case of telling the program where the documents it's looking for are now kept.

I think I've royally fucked it up anyway but it's no bother. Tried moving everything over and it did work, but then when I logged out and and tried to log into the same account it would load up a temporary account which wouldn't save stuff when I logged out again. So then I go to delete the account but keep the files, but for some reason the files didn't save and were thus deleted.

Luckily I have most of my stuff backed up on online drives/ipods/e.t.c. so it isn't too much of an issue. Think I will just keep things like pictures/documents/downloads e.t.c. in a user file on the D: drive, which should mean I'm not moving anything over that will stop things working.