Dark Souls

Andrew

picked this up today, surprised we don't seem to have a thread on it somewhere

not started it yet buy I played it at eurogamer and it certainly lived up to its reputation then

looking forward to getting stuck into this, and it fucking me over repeatedly as a result

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care if Im talking to myself, this is a quality game, if any of you get the chance to pick it up cheap I totally advise it.

Complete switch from Skyrim or other recent RPGs Ive played that were almost too easy, this is definitely a throwback to a time when you shouldnt have expected to finish a game

seem to have the magic touch wih Bosses so far though, not been killed by one yet

its not at all, all you really need to do is readjust your attitude to dying thats come with modern games accept it'll happen and use your deaths to your own advantage

the combat style is really good, the sense of reward from beating any single or group of enemies is unlike anything else

• 6 years later...
On 12/17/2011 at 01:56, Gemmill said:

This is on its way from Lovefilm. On your head be it if it makes me cry.

Well?

The remaster of this is out now, I played a bit of it on a drunk stream a few weeks ago and got the bug.

Unfortunately I want it on switch which is delayed so I am playing the non-remaster to keep me going.

I've always been scared and stressed by souls games, turns out Ive been playing them wrong. This game is absolutely ace if you play it the way its intended. 

11 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Which is how? I find them incredibly tedious so this information would be useful because i do actually want to enjoy them.

Without fear I guess. Check out “fightin cowboys” DS Remastered walkthrough YouTube series and look at his approach. It’s very different to how I used to play and I enjoy it a lot more for the change of style

Wait, so you're not meant to be fearful? The game punishes you really hard for dying. I 'fondly' recall the 30 minutes I spent playing Dark Souls.

Started in a prison cell with a broken sword. Left cell. No idea about combat. Skeleton with non-broken sword appears, stabs me, I die. Restart game, remember where skeleton is, practice a few sword swings, kill skeleton, move further down passage, another skeleton, I die. Restart, kill both skeletons, enter a bigger room, see a huge ogre demon thing that looks like some kind of boss and has a club the size of a small country, it looks at me, I die. Repeat, get a few swings in, do no damage at all, I die. Try to go around it, go onto a high ledge, try to jump attack down onto it, Succeed, damage it heavily, but die in the fall. Etc.

It just wasn't fun :D

Edited by Rayvin

Yeah you're definitely doing it wrong :D 

You're really not meant to be fearful, the game only punishes you for hubris and even then you get the chance to retrieve everything you lost.

I mean I look back at it with amusement now tbh.

I made more of an effort with Bloodborne and must have got about 3 or 4 hours in before giving up. I just can't stand having being relegated back to a checkpoint I passed 30 minutes ago and redoing the whole thing. Plus it punished you for not finding your dead remains or dying before you got back to them. Coupled with a lack of patience which meant I would try to speed through the sections I had worked through previously before dying (and inevitably take more damage due to carelessness), it's just not for me. I'm not the kind of person who should play these games :lol:

:lol: yeah there is definitely a type.

Really want the switch version to come out soon, a solo run while I'm travelling would be great.